Thinking About adding a Ring Mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nighttrain1127, Jun 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Thinking about the DOD Gonkulator seems like the price is right the name is cool and it makes some strange noises.

Or is there something better than this without taking out breaking the bank

2. The Zoom B3 has a decent Ring mod and pairing that with the BitCrusher and some ModVerb is a pretty epic sound, at least to me. drives the keyboard player a bit wacky (ain't that the point).

gscroggin and SirMjac28 like this.
  3. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    The EHX Ring Thing isn't the cheapest, but you get so much. All kinds of ring mod, trem, pitch shift, vibe and more, and 9 presets to save sounds.

bassbrad likes this.
  4. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    image.jpeg This would be my choice.

5. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    I loved the Randy's Revenge when I had it. Needed to fund something else so sold it, but I really loved it. I'd probably go that route if I need/want a ring mod again.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  6. I like the old 40v EHX Frequency Analyzer. It's big and has weird power requirements but it sounds so good. You can find them cheap too.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  7. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Some cool suggestions Thanks for the Ideas Keep them coming.

8. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    The moogerfooger 102 is another winner

10cc likes this.
  9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd go for revenge.

10. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I also want to add one and probably it'd be a copilot, however honestly I've never used one and can't justify getting one as I'm not sure how often I'll use it. But I want it. Ha!

maxl and CHILDISHGAMBINO like this.
  11. MoonChild2112

MoonChild2112

Oct 16, 2013
    aren't ALL keyboard players a bit wacky?

bassbrad likes this.
  12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I've owned:

DOD Gonkulator. Well this one was my guitar player's and it was the original version where you couldn't adjust the carrier frequency. I thought it was all but useless for bass. I'd like to check out the reissued one.

Moog MF 102. This one is pretty amazing. So many option with the expression controls, LFO, wave shape Etc. At low frequencies it's an amazing tremolo too. The clean blend is crucial to keep the bass in the mix and its huge but a great ring mod

Randy's Revenge. Very "musical" if that word can be used for a ring mod. The tone knob helped a lot and the expression control of frequency is nice. Expensive and there's very obvious clock noise when using the square wave setting at low frequencies but it's compact and sounds great.

EHX Ring Thing. Didn't care for this one. I know other TBers dig it but to me it felt like it did a lot of things but none of them all that well. And I thought I'd like a ring mod that tracked notes but it wasn't my thing.

Lovetone Ring Stinger. Strange, wacky beast. Almost too many controls for me. Cool sounds but definitely a "dirty" sounding ring mod. I didn't ever try the optical control. Rare and super expensive now.

Strymon Möbius. The Quadrature setting is a fantastic ring mod among other things. If Strymon ever makes a smaller (cheaper) standalone unit with the Destroyer and Quadrature modes I'd buy it. Digital of course but you can't tell that when playing it.

Moog MF Ring. Didn't like this one. I thought I would since it seems like a pared down version of the MoogerFooger but I missed a lot of what they removed. Needed a lot of clean blend to make up for how thin it sounded.

EHX Frequency Analyzer - Love this one. I always worry about EHX build quality but the sound is awesome. Minimal features - no waveshape options, doesn't go slow enough to do tremolo sound, no expression input but the features it does have - a fine control for tuning it exactly and the filter switch to emphasize the lows are awesome and make it fantastic for bass. Odd power supply requirements and possible quality concerns but it's small, relatively inexpensive and sounds great. It's the one I'm using now.

There might be others I'm forgetting and there's also pedals like the Heliotrope and FrantaBit that use ring mod circuits but hopefully that helps.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  13. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Wow some good information there . Thanks all for the help. still thinking. I have an opportunity to get an EXH Frequency analyzer for right around 100.00 but not sure yet.

14. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    One thing about the Moog is that the carrier frequency does bleed through a bit, it's solid otherwise though. The Zvex does it too but I didn't see that one mentioned.
    I was using the Frequency Analyzer before I got the Ring Thing, it's cool but the RT just covers a lot more ground. I don't like its pitch-shifting mode but everything else is great

15. holy ghost

holy ghost

Apr 29, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    I love the little moogerfooger ring mod, Does subtle and weirdo robot chime sounds and all kinds of weird stuff. I want a Gonkulator! But no one seems to stock them in Canada. It's a real shame. I would honestly keep both on my board.

16. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    I've got the Moog 102 (I mainly just use it for sweet trem though). It's got a ton of options to mess around with and actually has a great drive sound too. You can pick them up on eBay for peanuts too, I got mine for £120.

17. I just sold my Copilot Fx Android. I already miss having a ringmod, but it's for my synth

18. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Apologies in advance for resurrecting a zombie thread:

Just wondering if there are any new developments in ring modulators since this thread was started 3 years ago?

Frankly *everything* mentioned in this thread is still new to me; the last ring modulator I had in my rig was a 1970s-era Maestro unit (the one designed & built by Tom Oberheim).

I’d love to get a more modern unit that’s more compact but just as gnarly. Anything out there that’s current and really appealing? Thx

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021