Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thinking about an ABG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nataku, Aug 23, 2005.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    today was my first day of guitar class at high school, and the teacher said i could play bass. he's having all the guitarists bring in acoustics since he doesnt want to deal with keeping 30 amps safe, but he said i could play electric if i needed to, since i dont have an ABG. this is my chance to get my parents to be ok with me buying an ABG, since i finally have an excuse to buy one.

im thinking about either the:
    michael kelly dragonfly
    or the
    takamine eg512c

these two seem to be the most popular for under $500, and since i really have no experience with ABGs, thats kinda what im going with. which of these (or any others) would you recommend (for somewhere around those prices)for someone looking for a good acoustic volume and tone for class, but also a good plugged in sound for band practice? also, i know they will probably need setups when they arrive, but are they reliable after that? :help:

2. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    also, why is it so hard for me to make new topics? for the last couple that ive made, it doesnt go through the first time, and it loads a blank page as my new thread. i then have to refresh 20+ times (on 56k) before my thread shows up on the main page. :confused:

3. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    I have a MK Quilted Maple Dragonfly 5 string and I love it. Nice pointed tone and sounds nice when amplified. As with most acoustic basses, you will probably need to amplify it if you are playing with more than a few other instruments.

Get it set up by a good tech and you will be very satisfied.

4. I've never been too impressed with ABGs. I like them, but I haven't played one that's especially loud yet. There is one I like a lot, though, the Alvarez MSB1. It's actually a really tiny instrument, shorter than a guitar if memory serves, but it seems to perform as well as many larger models. I've not tried it plugged in, although I probably will tomorrow. It's the coolest thing, because we bassists don't get too many portable instruments, but it's just as compact as can be. I found that using my nails on the strings (they don't have to be long at all) really gave me a volume boost. It's worth trying that on larger models as well. The MSB1, owing to its tiny size, is a little lacking in the low end, but it's loud enough on the high end to compensate somewhat. As you may notice, I'm quite taken with it. It's maybe not quite what you're looking for, but it would suit your purpose if you like it.

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    ive heard better things about the MK than the takamine, so im leaning that way, and it doesnt hurt that the MK looks way cooler, what with the top and inlays and all.

and about the alvarez, i dont really like the look of it much, and im not into short scale basses at all (unless it was WAY better quality than the others in the same price range).

6. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I own a MK Dragonfly 4 that I bought back in May. I love it. The neck plays great, it sounds good acoustically and the Fishman active pickups sound excellent when plugged in! I'm thinking about buying one of the Fretless Dragonfly 5's now. :bassist:

When I bought my Dragonfly, I also played the Tak, they had both at teh store I purchsed the MK from. I liked the feel of the MK better which is why I opted for it. But that's a personal choice of course. ;)

7. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    I really was rather suprised with the quality of the MK, being a Korean made instrument and all. Nice fit and finish and stays in tune very well. I did have a problem with the truss rod and MK replaced the bass, no problem.

The phosphor bronze strings were driving me nuts because they would turn my fingers black. I replaced them with D'adarrio light guage nickel rounds and it still sounds nice. Not quite as bright as the phosphors but the bass is rather bright anyway so the sound is still rather punchy.

Let us know how you do with your decision.

8. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    im prolly going with the MK, since most people here and other places recommend it over the takamine. some other questions i have are:
    - would it sound as good with flats?
    - what hardshell/softshell (not gig bag) cases out there would the MK 4 fit in? the MK case that i know it would fit in is kinda pricey on musiciansfriend.com, but i would go with that if i had too.

9. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I also own the MK hardcase. It was a bit pricy, but it's an excellent case. Very solid. To me that was important for a hollow body instrument. ;)

10. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    considering i paid $80 for an electric hardshell case, $130 for an acoustic one is definately worth it. now its just up to me to see if i can get the parents to go for this as well... :rolleyes:

11. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    You can get it a little cheaper than that here with free shipping. ;)

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--MKBCASE