1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking About an MTD...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve K, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I've been thinking about purchasing an MTD 635-24 with a mahogany body, a flamed redwood top, and a honduran rosewood fingerboard. What are your opinions of such a bass? Would this wood combo be good for funk, jazz, fusion, etc. and sound good playing rock oriented music? I've also been thinking about just buying a used MTD 635 but I'm having a hard time finding one. Do you think I should just forget about ordering a new one and keep looking for a used one?

2. fLaT-fIfTh

fLaT-fIfTh

Dec 20, 2004
    Producer: GospelChops Inc.
    Go for it man! Mahogony/Redwood is a great combo. What is your neck choice? I play those styles as well. I have a chambered mahogony/Redwood burl fretless 635 on order and I can't wait! I think you will be very pleased. Have you talked to Mike about it?

3. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I was just thinking of using a maple neck but I would love to hear your opinions on ash, wenge, etc. necks. I have read through a lot of MTD threads talking about the various neck woods but theres nothing wrong with too much information. I have talked to Michael Tobias and he said a mahogany bodied MTD 635 with an ebony board would be best for me, but I really like the feel of rosewood. But, again, I'd be open to suggestions.

4. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Don't do it... :D

Once you go for it you are hooked... I found out the hard way twice already.. :p

5. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    If anybody knows where I could find a used MTD 635, that would be a lot of help because, right now, I'd rather buy a used one

6. fLaT-fIfTh

fLaT-fIfTh

Dec 20, 2004
    Producer: GospelChops Inc.
    Big +1(too late for me)

I haven't experienced the Honduran Rosewood on Maple. However, I wouldn't stray from a Mike T recommendation unless you have actually played this combo. The man knows wood...

7. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I was also wondering what the price difference between a used and new MTD 635 would be.

8. Austin Bass Traders (no affiliation on my part - just look at the site too darn much!!). Usually has some coming in at regular intervals - nothing used on Glenn's site now, but if you were looking for a NEW 5 string - http://www.austinbasstraders.com/newbass/81/mtd-535-24 :eek:

Z

9. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    That particular combo of which you speak sounds like a good fretless to me......I also would take Mr. T's recommendation on woods......

10. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    Depends on how used you are talking about.....New 635s are, what $4200-$4400 on up?

11. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I've been asking various bass stores and such a bass would be, depending on the store, anywhere from $3950 to $4400.

12. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    $3950 doesn't sund too bad at all for anew one.......

13. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    I owned a 635 with a mahogany body, redwood burl top, maple neck and rose of the mountain board (ROM). The ROM behaves a lot like maple, but it was still lacked sufficient bottom end. Mahogany can provide a big low end, but I needed the sound that Ash gives. anyway, the bass sounded like a grand piano in the upper end, especially when chording or tapping. I don't do a lot of either one, but it sounded great.

Your bass will definitely sound good as a fretless, maybe with a different board, but as a fretted bass I can see it sounding warm, and maybe not as aggressive for rock as you might like, depending on your tastes.

I would definitely take the advice above and check out the 535 on the ABT site (ash body/walnut top/ash neck/maple board) I own one and it blows me away. Seriously, CHECK OUT THAT BASS!!

14. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Don't think..

buy it! :)

15. sephage

sephage

Mar 5, 2004
    Philadelphia PA
    I've had a similar wood combo 535 for about 1 year (see http://mtdbassenthusiasts.ning.com/photo/photo/show?id=2010822:Photo:508 for a pic ).

It's a fantastic bass. Mine is fretless, the neck is maple and the fingerboard is Rose of the Mountain (hard like Ebony but warmer sounding like rosewood).

It's a very versatile bass, I almost never change the eq settings because I can get so many different tones just by changing my right-hand technique and position! Its fundamental sound is fat, warm, lots of "booty" to this one without being boomy. And very responsive - I've become a better fretless player just by using it because I can hear the tonality, expression, and intonation of each note so much more clearly vs. any other bass I've ever owned.

16. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Go ahead and do it!

17. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I wish I could find a used MTD. That would be the perfect situation. Is there anybody here looking to sell a used MTD 635 or know where I could find one. I didn't realize my MTD gas would grow so out of control. :help:

18. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I talked to Michael Tobias again and he said that a better choice for me would be an MTD 635-24 with an alder body, a maple burl top, and a maple neck with either an ebony or honduran rosewood fingerboard. The only thing is that I read some of the opinions on MTD's with alder bodies and they thought that they were dull and lifeless sounding. I have heard a Marilyn with an alder body, and to me it sounded really good. He also said his second choice would be an ash bodied MTD with a myrtle burl top and a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. There was recently an MTD 635 with similiar specs but it had a maple burl top in the classifieds here that I sadly wasn't quick enough to get. I'm still hoping that another used MTD 635 will show up, though...

19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Interesting. I never asked Mike, but what were his comments about the Mahogany body you had initially thought about?

20. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    The last two wood combos I stated in my last were what Mike suggested for more traditional tones. As for an MTD 635 with a mahogany body, a flamed redwood top, and an ebony board, he said that it would be a very sweet, clear bass that would be warm but articulate and sensitive rather than in your face. He said it would growl nicely if you dig in, though.