1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about building a Warmoth...(any help appriciated!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xwpx, Feb 19, 2008.

1. xwpx

xwpx

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Just looking for some pointers/advice and any help anyone wants to throw at me.

I've always wanted a 4 string Lefty Thunderbird (I have a 5 string epi that I flipped) and with the suggestion from lefty007 I think I am just gonna do it up with Warmoth myself.

Heres what I have picked out so far;

*Mahogany Thunderbird body

*Warmoth maple/ebony neck

*4-String Music Man Bass, Ceramic Magnet pick up

*Music Man 3 Band Tone Circuit With 4 Knobs

*GROVER/SCHALLER STYLE BLACK BASS GUITAR TUNERS R4 NEW

*Schaller 4-String Roller Bass Bridge

*Schaller Strap Locks

I plan on doing the stain myself, 4 years of wood shop should help with that.

With a wiring diagram (does it come with one?!) I should be okay with the pickup/tone circuit

Aside from what I listed am I missing anything?

As of now I am looking at close to $700 without shipping...
    is it worth all the money for the quality?

Thanks in advance

2. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Here's some tips I learned while assembling mine...

1. Measure three time, drill once. Where you're drilling through finish, put a little patch of masking tape, and it'll help to stop the finish chipping out. Take it nice and easy.
    2. If you don't have a drill press, measure the screw up against the drill bit, and use a piece of masking tape around the bit to mark the depth you want.
    3. Use washing up liquid or candle wax on the threads of screws, they'll go in much easier.
    4. Measure THREE TIMES, drill once.

Here's my Warmoth. I'd never even done a full set-up on a bass before I built this one!
    l_cfd2459f6296d1a699f1d238e2c0205b.
    l_4772759f99421fc0ba23fc6706c536fd.
    l_5ce350e2382347bbab9d83234f60edac.

To anyone considering a Warmoth; if you have even half a brain, can read a basic wiring diagram, and can work a solder iron and drill, you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, and remember to measure THREE TIMES, and drill once!! ;)

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Sounds good. The electronics ought to come with a wiring diagram included, anything else would be silly.
    Warmoth quality is good, as far as I have experienced. I'd suggest getting pre-drilled neck holes and installed slotted nut (I think it's $25 extra for that).
    Aside from what you listed it seems you only need neck screws (and plate).