Thinking about buying a new amp - opinions needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morf, Mar 3, 2006.

1. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Right now I have a Behringer BX1200 which is my very first amp. I have a fender p bass, a cort action bass and soon a zon legacy. I tried my P bass with a Trace Elliot amp and I must say it was day and night compared to my behringer.

Any recommendations for amps that would suit my basses (especially the zon and p bass) well? I don't want something huge, 200W max is good :)

Thanks in advance for the help
  2. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    Buy the Trace Elliot -- it will suit all of your basses. Also, there is no need to limit yourself to 200 watts; if you can afford something just a little bigger, there are many good choices in the 250 - 400 watt range.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO Peavey amps offer a significant step up from Behringer. Maybe not wattage wise, but soundwise. If you like the Trace, maybe you should seek one out. They are just getting started producing again, and there are a lot of used models available. Do you have a budget? Looking for a larger combo or head/cab combination? Going to keep the Behr you have for practice and kick-around or sell it?
  4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I'm not really looking for anything specific, I'd like to keep it under 600 bucks if possible, and yes I'll sell the behringer once I have a new amp. Thanks for your advice, maybe I should look into Trace Elliot prices around here...
  5. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Maybe , because of your location, you may want to look into Markbass?
  6. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Too late I've taken the Trace Elliot plunge ;) I'll be receiving my Trace Elliot GP-7 SM 300W shortly :D