1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking about buying a new gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by magnus90, Apr 28, 2009.

1. magnus90

magnus90

Dec 21, 2007
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Hi!

Because of the fact I live in Estonia, Europe and I can't try all the gear before I buy it I just have to rely on the reviews on the net.

So, I'm not sure what I want for the cabinet. Is 2x10 loud enough for a rockband or should I buy myself a 4x10?
    2x10: http://www.thomann.de/gb/aguilar_db210_bk.htm
    4x10: http://www.thomann.de/gb/ampeg_svt410hlf_bassbox.htm

Please comment both of these cabinets.

My choice of head would be Fender Bassman, something from the 70s, a lot of 50watt amps on the bay, will it cope with these cabinets, or should I search from a 100w Bassman?

http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prodimages/1965-Fender-Bassman-Head-Big.jpg

I play a Fender 62RI US Jazz and a Höfner Contemporary Series Club Bass with few effects. Some drive sometimes.

What do you think?

2. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    If you just looking for one cab i'd go with the svt hlf but you'll need a serious amp to push it. with the right head it will be more than enough for band jamming

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi magnus90.

Minimum rock 'n' roll bass cab using 10" speakers? 4x10". (8x10" is better.)

Minimum rock 'n' roll bass head? 200 watts. (300 watts or more is better.)

And that's for playing small ~ medium sized rooms without PA support for your bass.

Medium ~ large sized rooms + outdoor gigs if PA support is available.

4. If you want to play rock, yep: 4 x 10's is the way to go. 2 x10 will give you transportability.

A (vintage) 50 watt Bassman has a nice sound but won't deliver the 'ooommppph' you are looking for. the 100 watt version will be better but you can also search for a SS amp with tubes in the preamp (like a Ampeg Svt-3pro, or a Warwick Quad IV or VI).
    As a fellow European bass player, I know prices are steep in Europe for the GASing bass player. So look for used (to keep the cost down). Or consider a pre-amp * poweramp in a rack ...

I have a 7ender Bassman Export and I really love it ... but with a 300 watt cab you won't cut it. I've got mine hooked up on the speaker of my SVt-15t combo (speaker is 100 watt @ 4 ohm) and for playing at home it really delivers :p

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    since it appears that you like tube amps, and judging by your choices, i would recommend the SVT410HLF and possibly a Traynor YBA200-2. 200 tube watts thru that cab is pretty darn cool.