1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about buying a new toy, please advise...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Danger Deez, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Danger Deez

Danger Deez

Jun 25, 2007
    I've got about $200 burning a hole in my pocket. I was planning to get a fuzz pedal, but after more thought I realize that I need something more versatile.

I don't gig or anything; I've only been playing for about a year. I'm just practicing in my house pretty much. I'm looking for a versatile device that'll aid in practicing. Unfortunately I don't know much about what is out there so I can't be very specific. Some of the features that I'm interested in drum machine, multi-effects, looping, and the ability to interface with my computer so I can record what I play (I have a Macbook with the 1/8th in jack).

Actually it just occurred to me that with an interface I could probably do lot of the effects and looping more easily in Logic/Garage Band/Whatever.

So I'm obviously I'm not an expert here. But I am looking spend up to about $250 on something useful and versatile. Something that'll help me practice and start exploring some effects and whatnot...

I'd really appreciate your advice!

Thanks.

2. xed

xed Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Coastal NC, USA
    I believe that you don't "have" to have a dedicated interface. You can use your Mac's 1/8th" mic/line in to record. Just toss down a few sets of 8 bar A/B generic drum grooves in Garage Band and then just play over them. You'll have a blast and it won't cost you a dime. Meanwhile you can obsessively camp the effects forum like the rest of us addicts. ;)

3. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    The Korg PX5D satisfies all of your requirements.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The Zoom B2.1U Bass Multi-Effects with USB is just a little less then $200 thru internet stores. Thatd be my pick. Ive tried korg upper end bass processors yrs ago. And returned it for refund. Poor qaulity overdrives and distortions. Other effects where mediocre to me as well. But some like the korgs. Try as many of the various units around $200 by diff mfg if you can.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021