1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about buying a Peavey Cirrus 5. What wood combo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papersen, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I already own a Cirrus 4 (flamed maple / alder) and since I'm gradually recording songs with 5ers, I'm considering to get another Cirrus in the future. My 4er has been my main recording bass for the last 6 years.

The other reason is that since now they're no longer mass production models, but Custom Shop made, their price should go up sometime in the near future.

I know that all of them have great B strings and playability is superb, but since my experience is only limited to alder/maple and walnut/bubinga, don't know about the other ones.

So how would you describe the tonal qualities of:

Walnut/Wenge
    Alder/Redwood
    Walnut/Walnut
    Maple/Alder with Maple fretboard

I'm looking for an open, even sound and suspect that dense body woods (walnut) will have a more compressed sound.

BTW, I'm only talking about the US made neck thru models and will surely buy it used. Thanks.

2. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Anyone?

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

redwood body and ebony.. no inlays.. black hardware

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I own some of the oil finish cirruses.. be careful they look like beaten lumber if someone hasn't taken care of them.

5. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Nice option, but I guess it would be quite hard to find that wood combination in the used market.

IMO, Redwood Cirri are the nicest ones.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I didn't respond because the only one I've played is my alder/maple Cirrus 5. If there was a way to play alot of different wood combos, I'd suggest that you do that and pick the one you like. Other than that go with what you know. IMO you can't go wrong with the alder/maple.

7. Alder/Redwood

/thread

CIMG1330.

8. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Looks very nice.
    I believe that Maple fretboards will deliver the exact punch I´m looking for.

It´s hard to describe with words, but don´t want the sound of a WW Streamer Stage II (love it, but I´m looking for a different sound) or an ash - maple combo with sizzly highs.
    Something more even in all strings.

9. Maple/Alder or Redwood/Alder are the best looking and sounding imo. I've had the chance to try a Redwood/Alder Cirrus back to back with a Walnut/Walnut and the Redwood tore it up. Very even and clear response across all strings and it felt like the offered the best "base", as in the best starting point to tweak your sound from be it with EQ or pedals. Cirrus basses are naturally quite punchy so I think you could get the tone your after with any of them but the Walnut/Wenge I think will place you closer to what you're after.

10. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I have an oil-finished walnut-bubinga-pau ferro 5-string Cirrus and I've played a glossy alder-maple-maple 6-string Cirrus. Not sure what you mean by walnut sounding compressed, but it doesn't have a squashed tone at all. It is very even from string-to-string all the way up and down the neck. If I could describe it in one word, it would be punchy. I can get good modern and old-school tones out of it. If I could describe the alder-maple in one word, it would be bright. I really expected the walnut-bubinga to have the more modern, in-your-face tone, but I found the alder/maple combo to be almost harsh at times, though it still sounded really good. Not sure if it's the body woods or the fingerboard wood, but the alder-maple that I played was definitely WAY brighter. The walnut can get that bright, but it's much easier to tame. It's just a more natural tone with a slight spike in the low mids...nice, smooth, and punchy, but can be EQed to sound more aggressive. I usually play R&B/Funk/Smooth Jazz with it, but I would/could play hard-rock/metal with it and it would still sound right at home.

It sounds kind of like a cross between a Warwick and a Ken Smith. In a good way. If you're looking for anything in that area tonally, I think you would like the walnut-bubinga. Here is a pic:
    IMG_8204.