Thinking About Buying Squier II P Bass Made in Korea - Advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarMar, Sep 9, 2020.

1. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Hello Talkbass forums. This is my first post here. Please go easy on me.

There is a nice, clean looking Squier II P Bass MIK for sale in my area. It's one of the ones without a pickguard and access in the back with the lighter colored wood neck. I've read here on these forums that people love these things and that their necks alone are valuable (often times the necks are put on other basses). This one looks like it's in good condition and the seller seems to have a detailed description. Is there anything I should know before buying one of these?

The last time I bought a bass from a stranger online, it did not go so well (the neck had a bow and I thought it could be fixed but my local luthier told me the truss rod was broken). It is my fault for being a little naive as I am not sure if the seller knew or did not know. The pickups in that bass sound great and are P bass style so they could possibly go in another bass such as if I were to purchase the Squier II P Bass MIK in reference.

This time around, once again, the bass has a much better description, pictures, etc. The price seems reasonable. Am I allowed to ask what is the most someone would pay for a Squier II P Bass MIK or is that against the rules here?

Any advice this community would have for me would be very much appreciated. I have been lurking here for a while and I finally decided to make a post. Sorry if this post goes against the rules but I did not think it would be against the rules. I am just trying to not get ripped off again and I am hoping that maybe I could take the P bass style pickups from the broken bass I bought and stick them in the bass I am asking about now (I heard the MIK Squier II Pickups aren't that good).

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Have you considered buying a different replacement neck for the bass you already have?

As far as the Squier II, those are fine instruments. I wouldn’t worry about replacing anything until you have had a chance to hear it.

MarMar likes this.
  3. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    The bass with the broken neck is a Hohner Baron Bass. I bought it because I liked that it has a short scale neck. Too bad for me it was a bowed short scale neck with a broken truss rod. :roflmao: The body is small and lightweight as I believe that bass is one of those "student model" sorts of basses. My luthier did not mention putting another neck on there. Could that have been because it is a cheap body/overall cheap bass? I told him how I liked the pickups and he mentioned he could definitely put those in another bass and that it wouldn't be a high cost job as far as labor goes.

Thank you for the information on the Squier II. Is there a maximum price you would pay for a really clean one, are you not sure, or is that not allowed to be asked here? This one includes what might be the original "hard" case but I believe those are just cardboard wrapped in vinyl or something similar (I have a Fender Musicmaster that came with one of those). It also includes a nice looking gig bag which could add probably 30-50 bucks value to the deal.

4. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Is it against the rules to bump this? I didn't see anything about that. I was hoping to get a little more advice before I make another potentially bad or a good buy!

5. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I think you have to be a supporting member to get price information here o the slab side. You could check eBay and Reverb.

I got a MIK Squire Strat for $10 at a garage sale. It needed a couple of bridge sales and new strings. It was just as nice as my MIM Start.

MarMar likes this.
  6. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    The MIK Squier II P bass I am considering buying is still for sale. The seller just got back to me and I believe I am first in line at this point. Can anyone tell me a maximum price I should pay for it or is that not allowed? It looks really clean and the seller sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Here are a few pictures of it:
    67114571589_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=qs09VTz8TW4AX81ehkc&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.jpg 34725171332_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=Gk6hce4hSpIAX9JmBZA&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.jpg
    30462880939_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=lPkyOJuLaw4AX_-4oQ4&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.jpg
    24829203228_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=xfNNDHJ3Cu0AX-L_lJZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.jpg
    60874873123_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=uzqaEICvj0QAX8_-zFr&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated.

7. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Anything from anyone? Advice? Maybe a maximum price you would pay? I am really thinking about scooping this one up before someone else does. It looks super clean and I've heard so much about the necks. I just don't want to go in naive and pay too much for it. Sorry to bother!

8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    It's black and maple which makes it a good deal. Don't worry about the pickups or anything that is easy to replace. Worry about the neck. Can you play it in person? These aren't super expensive so even if it is a few bucks more than you see on ebay or Reverb it's a good deal if the neck plays well and/or the truss rod turns. It certainly looks like it is in good shape in your pics.

MarMar likes this.
  9. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    I will have to ask the seller if I'm allowed to play it before I buy it. If not, maybe that'll be a good reason to offer a few bucks less ;) The price seems pretty fair right now but if I can save a few bucks, that would be great. The dentist is coming up this week and I pay out of pocket. :(

I love the black and maple. I heard the necks on these are awesome. It looks great in the pictures. I will have to make sure the truss rod works (that's where I messed up last time I bought a bass off a stranger online). What do they use to turn the truss rod anyway and could my local luthier sell me one? Maybe I should get one of those to take along with me if I go see the bass.

10. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    WOW I should have looked at the guy's info a little closer. It looks like the seller builds and sells custom guitars. That makes me much more comfortable picking this up. I am really thinking about buying this.

11. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Well I went and picked this up today and I love it so far. I don't think I will change the pickups. I have another set of P pickups that I like (they are from a Hohner Baron Bass) but I guess I will hold on to them for a while. The neck feels awesome and the bass has a nice tone. It will be a cool addition to my collection of oddities. :cool: