1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about changing everything - anybody?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coolrunner989, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Hey guys
    Just wanted to get some feedback and input from people who may have been in my situation before. Lets start with the basics -
    I dont gig. I rarely have jams, but when I do they are loud.
    I am a sophomore in college, living in a two bedroom apartment on the third floor. I dont need a 1000 watt stack sitting in my cramped bedroom.
    I'm unhappy with my tone.

I have a GK 1001 RB-II, Neo 212 cab, a Sansamp RPM, and a 4-space rack. All in all I think I could get at least 1k for it all, piece by piece.

So, after thinking about this the last week or so, I came to the idea that I should just sell it all to fund a smaller, lighter, more moveable rig that agrees with my tonal goals a little bit more.

So my question is - has anyone else just changed everything at once? I know the usual way to go about this is to do it one piece at a time.

If i did go through with this I'd get a Shuttle 6.0 and a Dr. Bass 1260

Thanks for any and all help guys.

2. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    ive never really dont it..but i have a bad feeling about the idea.

id rather change things one at a time..

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    What are your tone goals? I can certainly understand why you'd want something more portable....why do you think the Shuttle - Dr.Bass combo will be closer to your sound? What kind of bass do you have? If you give us more details we can give you better advice.

4. I have a OLP mm4 with a nordstrand MM4.2 and a series/parallel switch, and a P-bass knock off with upgraded pots and a NP4. The P sounds amazing with sunbeams on it, or chromes. Great for blues, classic rock, etc. I haven't jammed with the OLP yet but I'm hoping for a more aggressive cutting tone than the P.

Over-all I'd say my ideal tone is something with good lows, a punch in the low mids and then even response through the mids and treble. A little coloration is good, I couldnt get my sansamp and GK preamps to match up quite right and give me that extra bit of tube grit I wanted. The RPM was great for a full on distortion though, just dont need it.

Earlier this summer I sat down with a Dr. bass 1x12 and a shuttle 6.0 and GK700RB-II 1x12 combo. I liked the Shuttle and Dr. Bass alot more than the GK. The GK seemed to have a hole in the upper mids and seemed a bit "brittle". I have a Dr. Bass neo 1x12 at home in Geogia

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Hey, if you wanna give me that GK, I'm your man. :p ;)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hmmm...why not send for the DrBass cab you have in Georgia, sell the GK stuff and get a Shuttle? For small but loud jams, that would be plenty.

7. I'd just sell it to fund a bigger dr. bass cab. The 300w in a small box didnt push enough low end for me