1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thinking about darkstar pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hachi kid, Oct 10, 2010.

1. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm just doing a bit of research, and I'm thinking about for my next Warmoth I will put a darkstar in the bridge position. but from what I've been hearing, it may not have the treble I'm looking for. I've seen some videos/listened to some clips where the Darkstar has sounded absolutely amazing, but I guess it kind of varies.

I'm looking for something with the clarity like what is below, but with a bit more mids and output. I've recorded my bass direct without messing with EQ's or amps, or anything like that. it's the X2N-7 in my bass. at first it's in series, at 3:26 I switch to single coil (which is closer to the tone I'm looking for), then I believe I end up in parallel towards the end.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7...ODUxNGY2YTNkMzNk&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

skip to 3:26

if anyone can provide some direct recorded clips, or video, that'd be really great.

:EDIT: just also thought of another alternative...what about a Ric bridge pickup?...anyone have any info on that? or maybe a Ric 4001/3 with bridge pickup soloed?

2. FWIW, you may want to consider rehosting the soundclip.
    Google Docs pages are only accessible to people with Google accounts.:hyper:

3. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    anyone having problems with accessing the soundclip?

4. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    From what I've read the Dark Star is very sensitive to positioning. Try it first in the bridge position with the poles toward the neck if it doesn't have the treble you're looking for rotate it and you should be good to go.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021