1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about doing 610 DIY cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

Hey again guys. I have been thinking about building my own 610 now. I've learned a lot from my past two projects (412, 212), and I'm ready to do some work with 10s now. I was thinking of a few different ways to go about this whole thing.

1.) Use 6 Eminence bp102s in a sealed enclosure with a 6" or 8" mid driver for highs (even though I don't know anything about doing crossovers. HELP) Any suggestions in this department would be greatly appreciated.

2.) Using 4 Eminence bp102s and 2 b102 whizzer cones for high end so no crossover would be needed. However, I know I'd have to port the cab this way and the size would be significantly greater.

3.) Lastly would actually only be a 4x10. However, this cabinet would follow the physics of acoustics in that it would be a line array cabinet. I would have 4 bp102 drivers vertically in a line.

Of all of these choices, which would you suggest? What 6"-8" driver would you suggest and at what frequency range would you cross over? Any suggestions would be considered. I'd prefer to work out as many kinks as possible BEFORE any purchases. thanks a lot! All criticisms welcome.

And I already know someone is going to ask why I chose this particular driver. I like the low end it can give and the power it can handle. I figure it will give me a greater low range in a sealed cabinet even though the highs aren't that wonderful.

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I have a question of my own to accompany yours. How the **** are 610s wired!?
    I see 610s with nice impedances all the time, and I can't see a way of wiring this without strage impedance drivers unless two drivers were getting more power than the others. Please enlighten me.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    6 ohm speakers in the Ampeg 610. Don't know how others do it.

4. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Thank you, this explains what I'd never understood.
    Jimmy, your Ampeg expertise comes in handy again.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bah...I just saw someone mention that a couple days ago. It's not expertise...it's just good memory. But thanks, SpamBot ;)

6. Myth_103

A lot of companies post false impedences online. A lot of them have 5.3 ohm 610s. Anywho, any suggestions for my questions?

7. Myth_103

Still got no suggestions.... :help:

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I like the idea of the vertical 4x10. It will sound good, work well, and it's easy to get a 4- or 8-ohm impedance.

9. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    If all the speakers are 6 ohm (if you can find 'em) and are wired series/parallel, the box will have a 4 ohm load.

If they're all 8 ohm speakers wired series/parallel, the box will be 5.33 ohm

If they're all 12 ohm speakers wired series/parallel, it'll be 8 ohm

If they're all 16 ohm speakers wired series/parallel, it'll be 10.66 ohm

But...you can use different impedence speakers in combination, but you have to be really careful with power handling/math/etc. to do it right. I found this link whilst searching:

http://colomar.com/Shavano/spkr_wiring.html (about 2/3 down the page has 6x10 options).

I'd consider just using 8 ohm speakers and using a slightly higher powered amp to deal with the 5.33 ohm load.

10. Thanks, Mo'Phat, that answered a couple of my questions about 6x10 boxes as well.

11. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    Which you would/could safely run @ 4 ohms correct?

12. Lars_Vegas

Lars_Vegas

Jul 12, 2010
    jep 5.3 Ohm are no problem for an SS 4 ohm power amp

13. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Glad I could help...nearly two years later. ;)

14. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    Tis what I thought...any difference on a tube amp? Or is it still relatively the same thing, just need to make sure you have enough power?