thinking about doing a do-it-your-selfer for the first time - help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steve_man, Mar 21, 2003.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm in a situation where I need my bass in two days.

My normal guy who does my bass up is very busy this weekend. I got a new set of strings and It's been at least 18 months scince my last setup. weather changes around where I live so I think it's time.

Also I'm in this position when ever I need a setup done. I think it would be best that I know how to do this myself because you never know what situations you're going to be in (like the last 3 times). I know a little bit about set up but not much. I'm pretty confident I can do this myself but I think it would be beneficial to get some guidance.

good resource sites would be helpful aswell as helpful hints.

to give you guys a better idea what I'm dealing with...

I like the action on my bass but I think that the intonation needs attention. also I'm not sure if the neck needs attention or not (don't know factors that tells you when the neck needs attention).
    right at the moment the bass gives just the right amount of fret buzz that I like -at least on my old strings. I don't even know what a dead spot sounds like so can't help you there.

my strings are almost the same as before - they're still 45 - 105's but they're compression wound and hex core as apposed to but old normal 45 - 105 round wounds (don't think it makes a difference but I'm gonig from Dean Markley blue steel to DR low riders)

thanks for your time guys