Thinking about expanding my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt326, May 4, 2005.

1. Currently I have an Ashdown ABM 500 head and ABM 410 cab (8 ohm). I'm thinking seriously about adding another 8 ohm cab to make use of the head's full capability. The question is, what variety (410, 212, 115?) of cab to add? The Avatar 212 has my attention, but I've never played through one. Would this fit in well with my current setup? I don't have the ability to try a lot of different gear in the area where I live, so throw out some options.
  2. Before finishing reading your post I was already thinking of an Avatar 212. Problem is, I've never played through one either. They sound like extremely reasonable cabs from everything I've heard. I plan on doubling up with a 212 and a 410 as well.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    A 212 would be very good...even a 112 would provide substantial lows that you're currently not getting. I'd stay away from a 15, though, too slow and muddy nowadays.
  4. Since you are using a head and not a stereo power amp I would check into sensitivity when making your cab decision.

I can tell you that the Avatar b212 is a great quality cab both construction and tonewise, but at 98db it might not be the best match for your ABM 410. I read that it is 103db. That's not a major mismatch but you could do better.
  5. Thanks for the pointers; back to reading specs. I didn't think about checking sensitivity ratings.
  6. Don't go crazy trying to find a perfect match. It is something to consider though.
  7. I've seen an Ashdown ABM 212T for sale at various sites, but none of them have the correct specs for this cab. Does anyone know anything about these?