Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about getting a 1x10 cab. What's out there besides Ashdown and Epifani?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blackbird, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My Minx 110 has begun a slow descent into death. I can't complain, though. I bought it used five years ago and have played the crap out of it. It's high time to upgrade.

I'd like to get a small cab that would go with my GK 400RB. I think a 1x10 would be ideal. I'm planning to use it for gigs in small rooms where we play in mid volume. Any ideas?

2. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    just got a swr workingmans 10 extension cabinet, 8ohms. $213 to your door from musicians friend (199 + ship).

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Several companies make 1x10s.
    The Euponic Audio CXL 110 is reputed to be an excellent and loud 1x10, 350w and 103db.
    Eden also makes (or up until recently made) a 1x10 also.
    Both are pretty light weight and there's been a lot of discussion about both, you may want to check the upright side of TB for more commentary on these cabs.
    Good luck.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you would consider a used cabinet, Trace Elliot made one.

There's the Acme B1 but I don't know (and kind of doubt) if the 400RB would have enough power.

Maybe Flite makes one.

If you want to go up to a 1x12 there are lots of options. It wouldn't be much bigger and the low end would be stronger.

5. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I agree that moving up to a 112 would give you a lot more options and, in my opinion, a better sound for what you're planning on doing with it. If you're stuck on the idea of a 110 and want another option though, here's a website that I ran across while I was researching my latest purchase. Lousy website but the cabs look like they may have some teeth. Again, I've never heard them but his designs seem pretty cool. Maybe someone here knows something about them.

http://www.hulsebasssystems.com/

6. I liked the Eden CXM110 that I had--it handled a B string beautifully--but make sure that the bass and amp you're using are rich in high mids and/or have a powerful EQ.

Dave Grossman's got mine, IIRC.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    He does. I saw it in his house when I went over to buy his SWR Triad.

You don't remember whom you sold it to? :p

Ok, Let's open this up to 1x12s too. What other options have I got?

8. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    You may have already done a search on 1x12s but just about every major manufacturer makes them now and there was a really big article on them in Bass Player several months ago.
    Epifani, Bergantino, EA, Aguilar (my personal favorites), Hevos, Eden, Ampeg, Flite Sound all make them.
    I personally love 1x12s. I use two of them in medium volume rock situations. They have a greater range than 10s and are just about as easy to get around.
    Good luck deciding which one(s) you like best!

9. I've never heard the Acme B1 so I can't comment on the tone, but the 400RB would have no problem handling it. 240 watts at 4 ohms, 150 watts at 8 ohms. The B1 is 175 watts and is available as a 4 or 8 ohm cabinet. GK is considering making 110 and 112 cabs in the RBH line, but for the existing options, I'm kinda partial to the Ashdown Mini. I have a mini 12 that I'm trying to sell actually.

10. flite makes a killer 1x10cab and it really really lite

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Daniel,

Don't let Acme's power ratings fool you...the B2 needs at least 500 watts or more to sound right. I used 725 with mine and it really wasn't enough. The B4s like being hit with a kilowatt.

I really don't think that 240 watts into a B1 would be enough...and it still won't be very loud.

12. Well that's certainly a cabinet I wouldn't want to buy if it really is that inefficient

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ampeg makes the PB110 which is really, really light.

Don't know how it sounds. According to Ampeg's site, it's only available in a 4 ohm impedance which may or may not be a problem. Plus it's only 93dB efficient so it might not get that loud either...