1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thinking about getting a 2 2x15 rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Mar 11, 2008.

1. hey all you tbers out there
    i've been contemplating a new rig for a while as far as cabs go and i like the idea of having 2 215 cabs, one on each side of the stage. my only tiff is what about the definition of notes in the upper register? i play progressive metal down tuned to drop b so the 15" speaker will be prime for all the heavy stuff. my only worries like i said are notes in the upper register. will they be able to cut through the mix?

get back to me on that

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Bergantino cabs, all the way. You'll blow your pants clean off. And they have a mid sized driver for the highs so you won't lose definition at all.

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Bad news setting up cabs on both sides of the stage, especially two that have such deep lows and large waveforms. You'll just create tons of cancellation. You'd be better off with one 215.

4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Get two of the bergs and stack them virtically :D

Is quite a tall stack but staygold1337 had the berg NV215 and 610 and stacked them on their sides but also stacked them vertically.

If you stacked them on their sides I'm sure it would be better then placing them on either side of the stage.

plus stacking them on their sides can't be any worse then the 410 boxes that are out there for phase cancellation.

Don't quote me on that because I'm in no way an expert.

Peace

-Benny

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've got a home built 4x15 cab loaded with Jenson speakers. I don't know if I have sound cancellation but its loud and its sounds good. Except when I really push the low frequencies then I get a rattling noise (might be the cabinet design)

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Sorry, I just did ;)

I'm by no means an expert either, but I seem to recall hearing that cabs had to be like 35 feet apart or drivers had to be within 2 feet of each other to stop comb filtering and cancellation zones. So I believe that you're probably going to be better off with a 410, though I have to admit I'm clueless.

I'm calling from a ruling here.

7. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    i run the eden 2x15 and it does very nicely. that has a horn for the upper freqs i can't tell you about the other brands mentioned.

but yeah 2x15s kick ass. get one!!

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Putting cabs on both sides of the stage doesn't work - put them both together, and it'll be impressive... I have no trouble at all getting as much definition and highs out of my Peavey 215D-BW... it's one of my favorite cabs...

- georgestrings

9. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Got a photo of this? I was just thinking of a 4x15 last night! Not something I want to lug to gigs, but what a sight it must be...

I'm after 2 2x15s myself at some point.

10. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have a 3x15 Bag End S15-D stack and there is plenty of upper definition. Plenty of lows too. The high sensitivity of these cabs makes for a very lound yet compact stack.

JR

11. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Get a older Mesa Diesel 800 watt 2x15 with the EV 15L drivers and you won't be missing highs or wanting in volume. Two of them side-by-side would necessitate earplugs.

12. first off, thanks everyone for all the replies!

second, i used to have 215's on each side of the stage and it was awesome! i just got rid of them because i thought there might be something better out there. +the ones i had were kinda ugly looking.

third, lots of bass players for bigger touring bands in the genres of music that i like play with 2 810s on each side of the stage. the cabs canceling each other out isn't a problem. if it was, you could just wire the cabs out of phase with each other!

isnt science wonderful??
    :hyper:

13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1,000,000

2 NV215 Depth, Clarity, Balls and punch

14. i just saw/realized what your user name said! i absolutly LOVE Saetia! i just recently got most of their discography. and i checked out your band, mouthful of birds. you guys are pretty good! check out my band- myspace.com/countbackwardsfromten we should play a show together sometime if you make it up to our area in minnesota or if we make it around to where you guys are in wisconsin!
    -blake

15. I run a NV215 and NV610 on either side of the stage and my bass sound has never been better. I have a wireless so I walk out front to hear it. Its awesome. :bassist:

16. I was wondering if this could be true so I did a few calculations.
    Speed of sound = 1130 feet per second.
    Frequency of low E (E1) = 41.2 Hz = 41.2 cycles per second.
    Distance per cycle = 1130 / 41.2 = 27.4 feet.
    Distance per half cycle (where signal is exactly out of phase) = 27.4 / 2 = 13.7 feet.

So if you are 13.7 feet closer to one speaker than the other (there are many places on the floor that fit this description), you will be in a spot where the two signals that are exactly out of phase.

Mythbusters finds the original statement is most likely TRUE! :D

17. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Sometimes I think people get too into the numbers:eek::confused:

18. I believe Mr. Mancini to be correct.
    Back in the winter of '69+'70, on a couple of occasions I used a 2000S (Sunn) and one cab on each side, the guitart had the Sunn guitar equivalent so we could hear each other. One guit cab and one bass cab for each of us.
    the last gig (that I was involved with) we each had our own stack and our practice amp also on each side. The sound was better.
    I put a B25B cab on its side once, to spread the sound. I was young, its my only excuse.