Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about getting a good, simple, cheap keyboard.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Apr 17, 2004.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Well, I'm trying to learn piano with the help of my friend. Now, I need something I can practice with at night and obviously a grand piano is just too loud, so I've decided to possibly buy a keyboard. Are there any good, cheap keyboards out there that will last me, and possibly serve well in a band situation?

2. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Did I post this at a bad hour? :(

3. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    USA BABY!

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    It will be a lot easier to give you suggestions if you give us a price range. Also, do you want 88 keys? 76 keys? 61 keys? Do you need weighted action or synth action? Do you want to be able to sequence what you play?

5. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Oops! I feel like such an idiot. Uhm, my mom and I are saving around 300 dollars towards this purchase, so thats a no on the 700-1000 priced keyboards heh. Besides, I'd rather spend that cool thousand on bass equipment. :D

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If you want something decent in keyboard-land you are not going to get off cheap. I am currently planning on a Kurzweil SP88x. 88 keys fully weighted and a little bit more than your average digital piano for about $750 or so.

I was looking at a Yamaha SO8. Similarly 88 key fully weighted, better synth sounds, not as good piano sounds and about $1000.

Or you can nickel and dime it a little at a time. Get a Proteus keys at Guitar Center, good sounds, difficult interface, not real intuitive but it sounds good and is comparatively cheap. But I'll bet you'll want a weighted controller afterward. Or try the weighted controller and a module. You might be able to get out a little cheaper. Say a Fatar controller and a vintage keys module? That's a pretty decent starting rig. And probably about as much as the Kurzweil SP88x.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WK3000/
    [​IMG]

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
  9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    For that price range I'd look at the yamaha PSR series of keyboards. They are quick and easy to learn and you can start having fun right away.

10. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    For your price range, you should check out the Yamaha DGX-202. It's a decent 76 key keyboard with enough features to keep you busy for a while. I picked up one a few months ago to use mainly for midi features in my Cubase recordings. I've been very happy with it so far. I'm not actually a keyboard player, so i really couldn't justify paying more than $300-400 myself. I see musicians friend is selling 'em for $300 now. Very easy to use as well.

[​IMG]

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The other option is to spend $100-$150 on a USB/MIDI keyboard, and just use it with your computer(via soft synths) That's usually a more time consuming option, but it offers far great flexibility, since pretty much any software you can get will work and enhance what you can do. But that's just me, I'm a midi nerd.

edit: just realized "that could serve in a band situation" Well, nevermind then, unless you have a laptop :p