1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking about getting a Neve RNDI...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by neddyrow, Mar 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I am building a BG (simple slab p bass) and plan on playing one in the first time in over 10 years and looking for a new rig. I already have 2 AI heads which I love and was thinking of getting a tube preamp or something to give me a little tone.

The reason I am posting this on the DB side is because I play mostly DB and some acoustic guitar at gigs. I like to have gear that suits many purposes. I was looking at a REDDI and the Avalon U5 but they seem a little to expensive for my potential use. Then I found out about the RNDI over on the BG side and it peaked my interest.

What also peaked my interest was that it also helps to tame piezo pickups. This unit seems like it could fatten up my bass tone for BG or help my piezo tone plus it seems studio quality for most instruments.

I am curious as if you guys ever use it for DB? It seems to add a bit of color to your instrument but most like the tone added by this box.

Any advice or input would be appreciated

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I did a recording a couple of years ago with my Lakland 55-94 into a Neve Pre Amp. It sound amazing, full, rich, distinct I can imagine it would the same for a DB.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    neddyrow likes this.
  3. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    I've been thinking about the RNDI as well.

FWIW, a good friend of mine who spent many years playing bass and engineering records for well-known people in LA (his credits as a bassist and engineer are seriously impressive) swears by the RNDI as the best DI he's ever used. I believe he has a NEVE 1073 in a "pedal" format, too.

To really get the benefit of the transformers through an amp, you'll need to run the XLR output into an XLR input on your AI head. The "thru" jack is likely connected in parallel to the input jack, which can also have adverse affects on input impedance when you're tying into your amp as the inputs are in parallel. No problem for electric bass, but a potential problem if you use it for DB.