Thinking about getting a Rickenbacker in a couple years.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jun 14, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Hey, everyone yep once i get a job i was thinking about saving up to get a rickenbacker, but is there anything i should know, like, which model is the best? or should i just by a beat up one for $800, or anything else? or if you have a rickenbacker could you tell me a thing or two about em?
    thanks. :bassist:
  2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I like mine, and I'm not selling it. :D

Seriously, a Ric has a classic tone no other bass can truly duplicate. People either love them or hate them, for the most part. Not a lot of "middle ground" there.

The 4001 is generally considered to be "more classic" than the 4003, perhaps because it came first. It also has a smaller neck and only a single truss rod, IIRC. The 4003 is a darn good bass, as well -- that's what I have. Some people have suggested that the 4001 had problems with neck stability because it was designed before the higher-tension roundwound stringgs became available/popular. I think there's not much truth to this, as long as you use normal strings and don't string a 4001 insanely tight. The truss rod is there to counter the string tension, and any neck problems are more likely a result of improper setup than roundwound strings, in my opinon.

I have a 1981 Ric 4003, and I have noticed some fretwear; again, probably due to roundwound strings and aggressive playing. :D Rics have neck-through construction, so if you're looking used, be sure to get one with a neck in good shape, or it might cost you big $$$ to get it fixed. OTOH, they have great sustain and a nice growl that's addictive.
  3. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
  4. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    One clarification: the 4001 has always had double truss rods. The original single-pickup 4000 as well, for that matter. The 4003 had truss rods of an improved design that weren't as likely to pop the fretboard off the neck or other such wackyness, like the old ones did in the worst of scenarios.

I love my 4003 as well! Might need to get another as a backup someday. ;)
  5. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Whats that metal thing that goes over the strings on some rickenbackers? i heard its like a muter or something?
  6. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    just a cover for the treble pu, i'm guessing to resemble the old horseshoe pu's they used to put in. almost all real Rick players take the cover off. and the mute is in the bridge assembly, most think that its a totally useless feature.
  7. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    How does the mute work, really? There's nothing in the manual about it.
  8. I heard that you can get a perfect or almost perfect 4001 tone from a 4003, is this true? and if it is, how come people like 4001s better?