Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking About Getting a Scooter...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    alright, i admit, Quadrophenia is my favorite movie of all time, and the Jam are my forefathers of rock.

[​IMG]

thus, i've been thinking about getting a scooter of some sort. a motorcycle's cool, but i doubt i can afford it, and besides, in the city, the smaller the better.

so, any ideas where i should start? i was thinking about a shiny new Vespa, but i'd rather go vintage. is the ebay motors the best place?

2. Ok, a shiny old vespa then. ;) I like Lambrettas better, but remember on the lot of these, you have to have the heads converted to run on non-lead gas.

I love scooters. The newer Honda and Yamahas look the part too, and they're cheap enough. Mod it up, take off the telltale badges, and no one would be the wiser from 20 feet.

the Honda:
    [​IMG]

the Yamaha:
    [​IMG]

and the Honda Ruckus is pretty awesome too. For a new style scoot:
    [​IMG]

3. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    you're a lot better off with a Vespa than a Lambretta in terms of reliability... last genuine Italian Lambrettas were made in about 1970, since then a Lambretta will have come from India or Spain, and they're potentially a lot of grief

Lambretta reliability is a bit of a joke :) you know how the Lambrettas in Quadrophenia keep breaking down? Spider gets battered by some rockers when he breaks down, Dave's scooter is in the garage when Jimmy visits him at the garbage dump, Jimmy is having problems with his spark plug when rocker Kevin comes round, and finally Jimmy sticks his Li150 under a post van (though you can't blame the scooter for that one :) )

and notice how Sting the Ace Face has a Vespa GS160 :)

a new or new-ish Vespa PX has had 25+ years of model history behind it, and they're generally so reliable it's unreal... there's just nothing to go wrong... think of them as the P-Bass of the scooter world :)

it might be worth touching base with these guys: http://www.iscootny.com/

if you really want a vintage looking scooter, then I think you'd be wise to get the real deal.. a metal bodied, hand-gearchange classic... over here they cost about as much as a modern automatic twist-n-go scooter, so if you like classic scooters, you may well get a genuine one rather than one that just looks like it

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Now all you have to do is practice saying "I drive a moped" without either laughing hysterically, or crying.

5. my girlfriend just got a Yamaha Zuma. It is pretty damned cool, and I kind of want one myself. Here in SF, you see a ton of scooters. They're kick-ass for cities. A used one costs like $1000-$2000, they get 75mpg, you can park them anywhere, you can zip between lanes if traffic's stopped....

6. I just got back from 10 days in southern Mexico, 2 hours south of Cancun. My wife and I rented two scooters from a local Honda shop and we had a blast. They were extremely manueverable and handled extremely potholed and dirt roads great. We did a trip of 50 km each way to the ruins at Coba in the jungle and brought back a new sink for the bathroom resting on the floorboard between the feet. Our realistic top speed was only about 45 mph, but most of the time we were traveling as fast or faster than the cars. On one road we were definitely faster because the cars took some much more time dodging the potholes. The only thing that would have been better for the dirt roads would be a 125cc dirt bike for greater suspension travel. But we would have had a hard time packing the sink on a dirt bike. Overall we were very pleased. I wouldn't want one where we live because they aren't fast enough and I have to go 60 miles to reach a city. But if I lived in a city (God forbid!), I would seriously consider one.

7. The way gas prices are going, I'm seriously considering one for each member of the family. I'm thinking Honda.

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    A guy at the pump last week was filling up his Vespa. After he pulled his receipt, pointed and said "ha, $1.50 a week, baby!" and sped off. Yup, I wouldn't mind only filling up a .44 gal tank once a week, but I wouldn't know what to do in the snow.

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Be prepared for insults like . . .

Attached Files:

• gay.jpg
      gay.jpg
      File size:
      5.8 KB
      Views:
  10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Get a dual sport instead... same idea... much more fun... you can take it offroad... and people wont laugh at you...

This one is 250 so gas will be pretty good... there are bigger engines out there ... 450's are nice... 650's are insane...

[​IMG]

11. Tire chains?

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Dual sport handles good in snow:) it got the tires to grip... you can put offroad tires on it and your set... just dont go fast:)

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You got the wheels turning in my head now.

A scooter would be good. I only live a few blocks from the school but I don't want to walk because around these parts if I just do anything remotely active outside for 5 minutes I get BO real quick. It's crossed my mind to get one of those little electric scooters or something.

brad cook

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    dual sport i tell you...

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Only if it was 2WD...

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Scooters are LAME.
    You can hear it's high-pitched hum miles before you see it. It annoys me greatly. Even worse are those turbo'd ones that can reach 70 km/h, but the noise makes you want to kill the idiot driving it. :rollno:
    Also, due to their small wheels, they are much less stable in curves.
    Normal cross/city bikes are not much bigger in size, have similar mpg, and you don't look as retarded riding one as you do with a scooter.

Of course, this is IMO.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    DUAL SPORT PWNS YOU ALL!!!

18. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Nothing says dork like a Segway.

At least you have that.

Attached Files:

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

thx for the insight! but yea, had my sights on the PX150 reissue. looks sooooooooooooo frickin' mod. :cool:

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh man, that would be great for my school commute.

brad cook