1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking about getting a whole new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pjh2112, Apr 16, 2009.

1. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    I am selling some stuff to come up with a new rig. I'm talking new amp, new bass, maybe 2. I would really like to delve into the world of all tube bass amps. I played a peavey vb-2 through a peavey 810 and absolutely love it. I really would like to downsize the cab a little bit to a 410 though. Any suggestion on what to get? I am not sure if ohm ratings work the same way on tube heads as they do on SS heads. I was looking at the peavey tour 410. It is relatively inexpensive and supposedly not to heavy. Would this in anyones opinion be a good setup? vb2 to peavey tour 410. Or do you have any better suggestion. I was only planning on spending up to about $800 or so on a cab, but I know not to under rate what kind of cab you get so I am open to all advice. I am also planning on getting either a ernie HH stringray 5 or a G&L L2500. How well would that go with the setup? Thanks. I am new to the tube world, so any advice would be great.

2. I think that sealed cabs are better with Tube Amp's but Im sure that someone who knows will chime in.

3. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    any suggestion on some good sealed cabs?

4. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
  5. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    Yes I do have an amp, Sorry for not mentioning. I currently have a Peavey 115 combo and a 210 extension.

6. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    What combo??

FWIW, You really aren't going to gain much by replacing your 210 cab with a 410 if the only power source is the integrated head on the 115 combo. If you need more power, it is probably time to get a dedicated amp. Somewhere around the 500 watt range (I am assuming your combo is around 200 watts???).

7. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    yeah, 200 watts. It's called a peavey 115 combo. Yeah I know dumb name. I want to get a peavey vb-2 with a peavey 410 cabinet. Did you read my OP? I want to get a new rig, preferably tube, because I played one and liked it.

8. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Ya, I just figured that out. If tubes are what you want, cool. A lot of guys dig em'. However, tubes = $$. NTM, they need routine maintenance. It helps if you are handy with a digital-volt-ohm meter. I tried the tube thing, just wasn't for me. I am a SS guy. Expect to spend about $1000 on a good tube (used). I would recommend looking for used Mesa 400. The Bergantino NV cabs are all the rave when it comes to cabs for tube amps (sealed). You can get a deal on one if you are local to the seller. Nobody is willing to ship the NV cabs due to the size and weight. My recommendation is dont skimp on the amp and cab. If it means not getting the Ray or G&L right now. Get a GOOD amp and cab now, then get the dream bass. Just my .02

9. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    I actually played a new peavey vb-2 for $900 and loved it. It sounded great through a peavey 810. I was just wondering how a peavey 410 would sound.

10. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    anyone else

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nope, makes no difference. A good amp is a good amp and a good cab is a good cab, period.

It's so hard to pick out gear for other people, you know? I could love something and you could actually dig the sound I'm getting it, but you could absolutely hate it when you plug into it. But I think if you like the Peavey VB2 and 810, you'd like the VB2 into a Peavey 410 about half as much ;) Get it? Half as much? Eh...never mind. Seriously though, Peavey makes really solid stuff, and bang for the buck-wise it's hard to beat. I hate 410's these days and I'm full on back to 810's, but I think the Peavey 410 would definitely be in the same tonal family. Wouldn't be quite as massive, but I doubt you'd complain.

12. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    Yeah. I like the 810, but feel it is a little more volume than I need. I am all about keeping stage volume at a good level. As in I hate to have my bass being the only thing that is heard. It is a pain for the sound guy and the other band member minus the drummer. I have been playing with a good group of guys for a while now, and I guess you could just say that we are courteous of each other. I am all about what makes the band sound good, and if that means using a smaller cab then so be it. But anyway, thanks Jimmy for the word on the 410. I do love peavey gear, and really just wanted to find out if the 410 would sound as good as the 810. I'll still have to go and try some stuff out though to see what I like best.