Thinking about getting Ambush bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Aug 20, 2001.

1. I've heard great things about Ambush bass, made by the bassist from Spyro Gyra. I am about a fax away from getting one. I think all their basses are custom made so no retail sells it, but I am interested in people who hava had tried one.

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The Ambush uses MosesGraphite necks and Diamondwood fingerboards, and although I have'nt tried an Ambush bass, I sure do like the feel of the Moses neck.
  3. The shots in BP looked good.
  4. Yeah, they sure look beautiful and reasonably priced for such a bass that made so closely by an artist.

Mmmm, more confused now.
  5. What kind of prices is he charging...say for a 5 string with an ash body?

Or maybe a better question would be what features are YOU getting and what is he charging YOU?

Thanks for the info. (Yes, I've thought about contacting the man too.)
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I read in BP that he might subcontract out for manufacturing of his instruments, what with all the orders pouring in.

Just a thought.
  7. If he does that, then I'm not ordering, what interest me in the first place was that he is going to be personally involved in building the bass
  8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I met with Scott after a Spiro Gyra concert in Atlantic City just a few months ago- I had gotten him a K&K Bass Master Pro for his double bass, and he comped us tickets, and we chatted after the show.

First, he is a really great bassist- solid groove, and he played a lengthy solo session, complete with slap and all sorts of techniques, yet always kept the groove and theme going.

We spoke for a while after the gig, and touched on his basses, which he played for the gig. Said he does all the work himself, including finishes, and preferred to do it that way, though it limits the number of basses he can build. He said he might subcontract out some details, like finishing, if it got to the point where he really had to, but said he really wanted to keep tight control on every facet of the creation of the instruments. I definitely got the strong impression that he is very proud of his basses and isn't the type of guy who would just slap his name on work he never saw.

Based on our conversation and the very positive vibe I got from him, I would be very confident buying a bass from Scott Ambush.
  9. Thank you for the reply and tips, I'm surprised at the amount of responeses that I get. Thanks a lot you guys, I'm sooo itching to fax him.

If more people would like to post, feel free, I read this thing everyday and reply to you guys.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Scott's an old friend. I've played his basses and they are sweet, fretted and fretless. He's also one of the nicest people you'd ever want to deal with.

Moses necks, Bart electronics and he builds them himself. The demand has definitely been more than he's able to supply. I'm still amazed he has time to do this with his schedule;)
  11. But guys...

What does he charge? What are his prices like?
  12. Did a gig he was on a little over a month ago. I tried both of the basses he had with him - great workmanship. They were both 5s, and the necks were very thin (can you say.... light speed ?). Pretty light weight as well. Cost... if I remember correctly, he said around $2500 - $2700. Of course, a lot that price depends on what kind of options you choose.

Hey Brad, you know he lives in Fredrick, right ?
  13. lwrichsr

Dec 28, 2001
    Bowie Maryland
    Today is the day I receive my custom made Ambush bass from the bass master himself, Scott Ambush. Its been about ten months in the making and since I live in Maryland his is going to deliver it to me personally. He also wanted to check out my Ashdown 500w combo amp and test run my F-Bass. I've narrowed it down to two primary basses, depending on what I and a few other band members hear with the heads up comparison of the F-Bass and Ambush, I might get a fretless Ambush to go along with the fretted. Here are the specs on my Ambush bass. I order it with the birdeye maple fretboard, spalted maple top, gold hardware(bridge and tuning heads). I went up to Frederick last weekend where he was playing at a local establishment and saw the bass minus the electronics and strings. It was absolutely beautiful. FYI, Scott does all the production himself, the necks are done by Steve Mosher, but they are from a mold that Scott hand carved himself. I'll post my thoughts on tonights activities, I'm looking forward to it.
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow, that's great! I've called him about 4 times, and have never been able to reach him. I was going to order one about 2 years ago. I look forward to your report.
  15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sure did, we've known each other since the very early 80's.

Hey lwrichsr, nice to see another Marylander here.
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I now own this bass:D

I've known the owner for a couple of years now and didn't even know he had been on Talkbass till I saw this post. I saw it advertised on, hooked up at Atomic with the owner and the rest is history. It's a great bass, very tight sound, the thinnest neck I've ever played, wide spacing which I prefer, Bart electronics which I also prefer. If it's possible for a neck to be "too fast" this is it.

Couldn't be happier with this bass. I first played it about a year ago. Surprised it came up for sale... and at a great price;)
  17. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL or it didnt happen! :)
  18. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    I think I know the original owner from trade shows....

Played several of Scott's basses- great stuff! He's one of my favorite working players out there and obviously a multi talented guy..
    The fretless is killer too...and with no frets the neck profile makes it feel like your hardly working at all to play it...
  19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'll start a new thread with the pics.