1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about getting back on the alloy 52 train

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BBKINGBASS, Oct 5, 2018.

1. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    GHS pressurewounds were my first adventure into roundwound strings. They were good but I wanted a little more bite to my sound. I have since moved on to Nickel Lo-Riders and have been fairly happy with the sound, feel and tension.

I recently just found a brand new set of GHS Boomer 52 strings in my desk drawer from over 5 years ago and put them on one of my 4 strings and I'm really liking the extra punch and sound of what alloy 52 strings bring to the bass. Unfortunately they are no longer made.

I'd like to try an alloy 52 string on my 5 string Stringray and it seems that the GHS Progressives are the most comparable to what the Boomer 52 sound is. However, I'm not sure about the exposed core the B and E string and from doing research, I'm seeing a mixed reaction to how people like it. Currently there isn't a non-tapered B string available for the Progressives.

I'm looking for suggestions for a good alloy 52 string set preferably with a non-tapered B string. Or if someone wants to speak to how they find a tapered B string, that would also be helpful.

NOTE: I have been searching through the forum and a lot of the threads are a few years old and it seems that some of the products are no longer available.

2. I'm a big fan of Alloy 52 and the Pressurewounds myself. So, I've always been curious about the Progressives, but one thing that kept me from trying them is the "saddle hugger" feature (exposed core) on E and B. Too bad they're not offered any other way.

3. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    That is the biggest thing for me too. All my basses are top-loading and having exposed cores and having to tweak saddle heights for clearance is something i'm not a fan of. That being said if people have positive reviews of that type of string I 'd like to know.

4. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I do not favor the exposed core on the Progressives, but I think they are good strings, and if you like them, perhaps worth putting up with it.

Labella also makes an Alloy 52 string:

La Bella Strings

I have not tried it, but the description does not say anything about a tapered/exposed-core string. I suspect they are not tapered/exposed.

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

You could also try E.B. Cobalts.

6. I didn't even know these existed.

By the way, are the "Super Alloy" by TI also Alloy 52?

Fab Superlative likes this.
  7. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Never tried those. I had read a review of them a couple of years ago that sounded pretty dismal. But someone brought them up in a recent thread in a very positive light. Might be worth trying! Also would be interested in trying the Labellas...

8. nbsipics

nbsipics The Virtues of Cruising Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Roundwounds? Roto!

9. You mean Roto offers Alloy 52 rounds?

10. nbsipics

nbsipics The Virtues of Cruising Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Nope. Stainless or nickel roundwounds. Builds character. :)

11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
  12. And what does that have to do with what the OP is asking about? I think you're being irrelevant here.

13. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    I saw those when I was searching. I’m not seeing them really being sold other then through them directly. Makes me miss bassstringsonline for these kinds of strings.

14. Yes, TI Infeld Superalloy, are also Alloy 52.

They are by far the best Alloy 52 strings that I've used. Especially for 5 string sets.
    I have a set on a Fender Roscoe Beck V, and what a nice feeling and sounding set they are- very uniquely voiced.
    One of the few 5'vers that I often receive comments about it 'sounding so good' from other players, and it's due in large measure to the Infeld's.

I have another backup RBV, that came strung with D'Addario nickle xl's and the Infeld's simply just kill, no contest.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    michael_t likes this.
  15. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Yes, bassstringsonline was the only other place I have seen them listed. Seemingly even less popular than the fabled Labella quarter-round strings... which might suggest that we shouldn't get too attached to them? :-/

16. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    I was doing more research and Alloy 5109 strings are similar alloy but the one review I found made them sound like a more of a broken in round then something that bridges the gap between nickel and stainless.

17. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    What is the Alloy 52 "sound"? Compared to the typical nickel or SS roundwounds?

18. Alloy 52 = Nickel-Iron = Magnetically more active than SS or NPS = Meaty lows with extra punch and mids with extra crunch.

(NOTE: This is based on my experience with the GHS Pressurewounds.)

Fab Superlative likes this.
  19. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I love the TI Super Alloy on my '64 T-Bird. Don't even consider trying another string. On a few other basses I've not had the same result. Not bad, just not that magic "wow" tone. Some may not like them because they are not bright as rounds tend to be. Thus those seeking that might be disappointed. Also, cabs have to be considered before saying a string "sucks" or is perfect for that matter. I know depending on the cab I'm using it makes a huge difference. Another good think about the TI SA's is that they last forever. They are the longest lasting round I've ever played.

Fab Superlative and trothwell like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021