Thinking about getting either RM500 or TH 350, have volume questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mfb, Sep 4, 2017.

1. mfb

mfb

Aug 11, 2017
    Hello!

I'm thinking about getting either an Ashdown Rootmaster RM500 or the Aguilar Tone Hammer 350. I already have an Ashdown MAG 210T (250w 8ohm) cab and want to make sure I'll still have enough volume if I ended up choosing the Aguilar. I'm running a 500w EVO II right night, and it's fine, volume wise. If I run that Aguilar through the 210T, will I lose so much volume that it's not usable for my purposes (fusion groups, jam sessions, etc). The Aguilar is rated at 350W, 4 ohms/175W, 8 ohms, Class D, whereas my cab is rated 8ohm 250w. I know nothing about these things, obviously. Can someone help me out here?

Thank you for your time!

2. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I don't know what your volume requirements are, but I know I wouldn't be able to get by with just a 210 cab. However since you are asking about the heads, I own the Ashdown Rootmaster 500 EVO and have owned the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and the funny thing is that I got rid of the Aguilar for the Rootmaster.

Where the Aguilar can get loud by cranking the gain and the drive knobs, the Ashdown just gets crazy loud period. The Ashdown can run much, much cleaner loud than the Aguilar. The Tone Hammer has to get really dirty to get loud and that may be cool to you, but after a while it tends to get annoying and the lows and highs also tend to get rolled back with the drive knob.

The Ashdown can get ridiculously loud while clean and then you can introduce as much dirt and compression as you want. I like being able to control that rather than having the Aguilar dictate it for me. Now the Tone Hammer may be your sound, I really liked it at home (not on the gig), but only you will know. I much preferred the Ashdown and that is definitely a keeper amp for me.

My advice to you would be to try them both out on a gig and see what speaks to you more. Not at home because to me that never truly tells you how the amp is going to react in a live band mix. I love the Ashdown but there are many here who also really like the Aguilar. As for the cab, both amps are capable of blowing it if you push them far enough. Use your ears and if you hear the cab is begging for mercy, lower your bass and or volume and look at getting a second 210 which will also give you more volume and allow you to run either amp at it's 4 ohm load.

Hope this helps and good luck.

mfb likes this.
  3. mfb

mfb

Aug 11, 2017
    Thank you for that!

Are there any other lightweight heads that you dig? I'm open to researching some others before I buy one of these.

4. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Yes actually, I really like the Ashdown Rootmaster 500 EVO as I stated, but I am also a very big fan of the Genz Benz Shuttle .2 amps, which you can only find used now a days, and the TC Electronic RH and BH amps. I like the BH heads but my favorites are the RH450 and RH750. Also the GK MB series are very good as well with the MB200 and MB800 sounding quite similar and gritty while the MB500 has more of a solid almost sterile tone to it, but they are still more alike than different.

mfb likes this.
  5. Ime of Ashdown cabs you should be able to push your 210 just fine with that Aguilar. Ain't no breaking down walls to be done with any regular 210.

mfb likes this.
  6. Lochlan Boebel

Lochlan Boebel

Dec 19, 2017
    Hello, I was thinking about getting the Rootmaster RM500 but I only want to run 1 cab (preferably a 210). But the specs say 4ohm minimum and most cabs are 8 ohms unless it’s a heavier 410. Would it be okay to run one 210 cab anyway? I’m was decided on the GK CX210 cab. I can’t find any other info on this dilemma. I don’t want to have 2 cabs because I live in Boston and don’t have a car to load up multiple cabinets.

Thanks!!

7. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    The amp is 4 ohm minimum meaning you can run one or two 8 ohm cabs safely. You will be ok running one 8 ohm cab no problem. :thumbsup:

8. Lochlan Boebel

Lochlan Boebel

Dec 19, 2017
    Thanks for the info! Would that mean that a single 8ohm cab would have to be 500 watts? Or does the wattage lower from the amp when ran at 8ohms?

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I use the 2x10 format exclusively (Acme) but I would not play any gig with just one. I see a pair stacked vertically for a vertical 4x10.

If you need to be louder than you are adding speakers is the way to do it. You’d need to increase power by ten times to get twice as loud.

10. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    No, the wattage of the amp would be lower at 8 ohms. Probably somewhere around 350 to 400 watts.

11. Lochlan Boebel

Lochlan Boebel

Dec 19, 2017
    Ah thanks! I just really don’t want to cause any damage or run more than a cab can handle!