1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking about getting my VT Bass modded.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Apr 26, 2009.

1. I have to say that after having it for a solid 6 months now, I've really come to love this little box. Has some great grind tones in it, some fantastic warm tones, and a VERY potent EQ section.

However, the loss of treble over 5k is beginning to annoy me. My basses definitely have something going on in that range, and I miss that when I turn it on. Any hope of getting the speaker sim removed from the circuit, or at least putting a toggle on it?

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I doubt you could remove that part of the circuit Headey.

3. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I do still have one but haven't looked at the guts closely. It might take rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers and Methodists to do it.

4. thats a lot of people!

5. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I just opened it up. To get a look at the component side you're going to have to take off all the knobs and nuts of the six pots and take of the nuts of the three jacks (instrument and power). Then you'll be able to remove the circuit. If you do this, please take some macro shots and share them.

6. I probably won't do it myself, my EE knowledge is not nearly sufficient enough to even begin to know what I'm doing down there. I'll take it to my buddy. In the meantime, thanks for the insight.

7. Also, just out of curiosity, is the treble cut the only function of the speaker sim?

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I run mine in parallel with 3 other effects. I use the mxr bass di+ to get the clean Eden type sound and that crisp high end.

9. You know, I seem to recall liking the clip I heard of the M-80.

I've GOT to stay out of this forum. :bawl:

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think so but I'm not 100% sure. I have to question why you'd buy a VT if you didn't want the 5k rolloff, though. That's what Ampeg is all about, and that's why it sounds so much smoother DI'd than most overdrives. Won't really be a VT after you do that.

11. I bought it with Ampeg head tones in mind, plus a bit of crunchy grind, didn't have the 5k rolloff in mind when I bought it, and now I realize that's what's holding me back from loving this pedal as much as I should. Just a matter of personal tone taste, that's all.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    OK Hedy, if that's what you want...hopefully you can do it. But you're going to make it an Eden simulator, not an Ampeg ;)

13. I'll probably end up trying the M-80 too. May avert a disaster, and keep the VT Bass the way it was intended. :)

14. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I do not see the point of this mod at all.

If you needed the extra 5k+ content, then you'd parallel into another DI for your clean.

if you wanted to do this for Live use - then there is something else at play.

that speaker simulator emulates 10" bass speakers.

Do you run a mid? or a tweeter?

If you can kick up a scheamtic - i could tell you if the mod is feasible or not, but you might have to cut traces - depending on how complicated the simulator circuit is, as it may be mor ethan a simple cap.

Also think about the full spectrum of the simulator - you may introduce more lows into the final sound - possibly making the pedal overall more muddy or scooped sounding.

15. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA

LOL, classic Blazzing Saddles line.:p