Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thinking about getting this...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A locking trem means just that: That the strings are "viced" into position. They are terrific in their own way. You spend extra time setting up, and there is some finnessing the string height almost every time you change strings. There's advantages and dis-advantages to both systems.

With a fixed (non-trem), if you break a string, no big deal. Quick and easy change in between songs. With no loss of tension or tuning to the other 5. With a locking ("Floyd") type, being suspended as they are by the spring setup in back of the guitar (strat-style), a string break can result in the loss of tension being shared by the other 5 strings and they can all go "out". In some cases, you can't even "one-note" your way through a song. String change between songs is do-able. But it'll take longer with wrenches and all, and you usually have to reset all 6, and get re-tuned to your bandmates.

Also with a "fixed" bridge guitar, you can tune it any way you want "on the fly". With a locking tremolo, like the "Floyd", your bandmates, and/or the audience better have alot of patience, because tuning the guitar all about cannot be done..."on the fly".

If you truly desire a "locking trem" guitar as a mainstay, have a back-up guitar that you can get through a set with. Strings break, and they always break at the least convenient moments.

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    well, my question kind of was (not stated good), are all Floyd Rose bridges locking? i would never want any sort of locked tuning at all.

4. I am SO buying one of those lp's.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Most Floyd's are locking types. There are a few trem systems that aren't as involved that won't throw the whole guitar asunder if a string breaks.

I dig the Floyd on my Ibanez.

6. I used to own a Gibson Les Paul Gothic. I hell of a thick sounding guitar. However when i picked up bass i sold it. I really liked that guitar....
    Never tried the Epiphone version though.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, all Floyds are locking. I say go for it. How often do you break a string? Floyds on Gibson style guitars are pretty rare. 10 years ago, I had a Floyd Pro custom installed on my Les Paul Studio. In retrospect, I shouldn't have done it because I never learned to whang it like Steve Vai (original motivation behind installation), but if you want a Paul with a whammy you're not going to find another. You *might* find a vintage one w/ a Kahler if you're lucky, but those are also locking and Floyds are better. There are some Pauls w/ Bigsby style trems, but those are mostly for gentle bends, not dive bombs like you can do w/ a locking trem.