Thinking about goin fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Hey guy,
    If this has beeb posted before I do apologize.
    But I want to go fretless. I'm ganna sell the bass I already have know, and get a new one. I want to get at least a 5'er.
    So if y'all can recomend any good 5 stringed fretless basses. That would be great. Thanks
  2. Uh, I think the best thing to do, and also the same thing anyone else would say; would be to keep your bass and get another bass.

Getting from where you are on fretted, to fretless will take a bit, and you would have no where to fall back to.
  3. hmmm, that sounds like a good plan. I'm going to do that.
    So, what good 5 string fretless basses are there?
  4. What's your price range?
    Prefered tone?
    Prefered neck size?
    Prefered body size?
    Prefered string spacing?
  5. forgot bout that part... sorry.

Price range: 650-700

necksize: 34 or 35. I wont be tuning it BEADG It will be EADGC

Tone: I'm not real too picky on tone, but I want a nice clean fretless tone. But I dont want it beefy.

String Spacing: I want a tight spacing, but not too tight

I really dont care about body size
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    When I think tight spacing, I think Conklin GT-5 fretless.
  7. I've had a MM 5 w/piezo & Warwick Thumb BO 5- neither sang for me like my Rebop. Be picky about tone- IME some basses are OK, some are sweet. You'll play the sweet one more, & hopefully improve.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Sounds like you want a Godin A5.

Lined or unlined? The Godin has lines underneath the B string.
  9. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I have a Brice V2 fretless 6-string that will be for sale very soon. I have a new custom fretless on order that I will be getting in about a month. My Brice V2 fretless also has completely different electronics that the average one. I put EMG 45-DC's and an Aguilar OBP-1 in it. It's running on 18v. It also has a brand new set of DR Sunbeam strings that I've maybe played for 2 hours. It almost sounds pro now. This would be way below what you are thinking of spending and will let you try out fretless on a budget. I was hooked almost immediately.
  10. Is the Brice for sale yet? How much? Pics?
  11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I'll post some pics within the next few days. The bass itself was about $280 (nice and cheap) and the upgrades were about $250. So new it's worth roughly $530. I would let it go for $400 + shipping.
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    It's a great deal, take it! If I were at another point financially in my life (eg, one where I had money), I'd take that in second.