Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about going all tube-tube amp options merged

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xax712, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Ampeg SVT-2 Pro

13 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. Ampeg SVT-CL

28 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Mesa Boogie 400+

67 vote(s)
    40.6%
  4. Eden VT-300A

10 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. None Of The Above

47 vote(s)
    28.5%
  1. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Which tube amp is the best for a head?

2. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I voted for something else cause the OLD SVT is the best all tube bass head, period. Wish I had one!

3. Something else.........

I don't have any of the above. All the old stuff rocks, especially if you can fix it yourself.

Ampeg V-4B original
    Ampeg B25B
    Sunn 2000S
    Fender Bassman 100
    Marshall Superbass 100
    Orange 120
    HiWatt 100
    Earth B-1000

Good sounds from all of them. Not insanely loud, unless you have a huge efficient cab. Can be had cheap if you luck into them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris

4. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Guest

Apr 30, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    There truly is nothin better.....I use an Ampeg V-4 for ther Dual inputs and controls. It sits on a Vintage V-9 (9 tens) cabinet that has been babied forever. A little large and heavy but you can feel it deep in your chest and that is the only way......!

Did a Blues festival a few years ago in St Pete, Florida. My band was first on stage.....and every single bassist after me wanted to run my gear. I was touched to say the least.

Vintage Ampeg tubers rule! Are getting harder to find and will be harder as time goes on.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

are you serious?!?! :eek:

6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Im still trying to forgive you for leaving out the Ampeg SVT.

7. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Ampeg SVT-V9 you bet! I wish I still had mine. svt classic?...please.

8. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Aren't those hybrids not straight tubes? I could have been mistaken, but that's what I read. Nobody around here carries any good ampeg stuff, just the lower level combos. And I love tube sound, that's why I want to know what you guys thought about these. If there are others please specify, but no mosfet or solid state at all please. Even hybrids like the Mesa M-Pulse line or Ebs HD 350.
    Thanks and forgive me for any wrong doing anybody feels,
    Brad

9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    For pure tone- not volume or eq features, etc-
    pure tone-

The basic tube circuit design of the Ampeg B-15
    cannot be improved upon.
    No way,

10. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    There are only two tube amps i would play

SVT

or

400+
    Thank you!!!!!!

11. Svt are great. Anguliar is also super. Mesa 400+ is my choice for the money well spent. I have two of them...

12. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Well if you have two of them then share with me.

13. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Last I checked, BassNW had a used V-9 for sale...mmm.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It's probably hard to find but the Peavey "Classic 400" was an awesome tube head. 400 watts of power but it's H-E-A-V-Y!

15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i want an old ampeg tube head!!!
    i don't care if it wiegh 98 pounds i am young and i have friends that think that they are muscle man so i will let explain there man hood by carrying it to the car!

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Brad,

I've played several of these and own the Fafner. The Fafner is a hybrid. It has a solid state preamp and solid state power amp section, with a tube placed in the signal path BETWEEN the two. Nevertheless, I think it's the best of both worlds. It's got the hi-fi quality you find in stuff like Kern (a tube preamp, btw) or EA, and the warmth and musicality of the Aguilar and Edens of the world. If I had to buy another amp, I'd probably buy the Fafner, or whatever EBS is about to put out (I think it's called the TD620).

Not far behind is the HD350. It's warm, and very advanced for an amp: it's got some incredible headroom and even modeling capabilities in case you want to sound like something else. I have played the HD350 but haven't experimented with the modeling. It sounds every bit as good as the Fafner and puts a heck of a wallop into the speakers. The one thing is, you called it a hybrid, and it's not. It's all solid state. I don't know that you'd be able to tell the difference, unless you're into vintage stuff; it's that cool! But, don't get it confused with a hybrid.

The bottom line is, most everybody I talk to that plays through any of these amps you've listed either loves EBS or hasn't played EBS. They may play something else, but this brand consistently receives wonderful remarks.

17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply the other day.
    Have you tried a vintage SVT with your D-118xl and D4-10xlt?
    I have not been able to try this config yet.
    However the D-410xlt and D210xlt sound amazing with the SVT. I almost think that the 18 and 4-10s will not serve as well as 6-10s.What do you think?
    The only all tube amps that I have played through are the 1971 SVT, 1972 V-4, and an 80's Bassman 135.
    Some day I want to hook em' all up at once with the Eden 18, 4-10,2-10 + Sonic 18 + Musicman RH15(BW).
    Aaarrruuuggghhh!!

18. Mine. :D

19. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Aguilar DB 728!!

20. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Probably the 1976 Marshall superbass 100 head in custom orange tolex in near mint condition that I have for sale.
    450 u.k. pounds plus shipping .... bargain