Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about going to Music school

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Sep 18, 2002.

1. YEAH GO FOR IT!

18 vote(s)
    94.7%
  2. No, you suck too much so stick with regular stuff :P

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hey guys, whats going on? Long time no see :)

Anyways, I am thinking of quitting this community college and going to a music centered school. I finally found out whta I wanted to do.. MUSIC!!! Yay! But I have no knowledge of music what so ever :( No Theory, nothing :( I Even suck at bass.. but anyways, I would like to goto a music school to

1) Sharpen my Bass Skillz (Which is nothing)
    2) Learn Theory etc.. (Which I don't know anything about)
    3) PLAY AND LEARN MUSIC!

But I don't know what school to goto.. any suggestions anyone? How much do they run for? etc.. etc...

Any Suggestions/Comments are welcomed :)

DM

2. um....

You don't suck.

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Go for it!!! I plan to go to a music when I graduate from HS.

I think it might be hard if you don't have a basic knowledge of theory and bass though. Most music schools have an audition process, and if you don't thinkthat you have any skills, that might be a problem. GET A TERACHER!!!! That will help you with skill, and technique and theory. If you are serious about it, then get a teacher and go for it!!!

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Dude, you don't suck. I just listened to a couple of your mp3s, your playing is pretty respectable. My suggesstion would be to get a teacher to learn some theory and technique and maybe boost your confidence in your playing.

I plan on going to music school after a couple of years of community college, if I can't go right out of HS. I was about to ask what some good ones were and what I would have to do to apply to them (the counseling dept. at my school doesn't seem to know a thing about any art oriented schools).

Good luck.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Go for it, weeniehead. ;)

Speaking of school, I start my A+ program tomorrow. :)

6. Everyone I know that went to music school thought it was a bunch of BULL I figure if you've got the drive to go to music school that's all you need well and lots of practice. you'll learn more from the people you play with and the bands you listen to than you will learn in school.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it depends where you go.

if you are a rocker/jazzer and go to a conservatory of course you're going to hate it.

a place like BIT, Berklee, University of Miami, Texas (Tech is it?) would be more up your alley.

and seriously dude - we know you don't suck, and YOU know you don't suck. so you can cut it out.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Go for it.. If you have the drive, you can make something out of yourself.. you have some good skills.. I enjoy being a music major..

9. ya, go to school if ya want to. im planning on doing that, and the local college in my area has a 7 week pre course to get my theory up to par to do the course, which is cool.

10. i'm going to dissagree with everyone here (slightly) and say, stay in college until whatever course your doing finishes, and have some private lessons in the meantime, and once your course finishes, then go to music school. 'cos if you drop out now, and for whatever reason, the music thing doesn't work out for you, you'll have nothing to fall back on. where as, if you stay in college, at least you'll have a few more quolifications.

thats what i'd do (well thats what i'm doing) anyway

l8rz

Tom

11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    If your going to college, then major in something other than music,that you could fall back on just in case your music doesnt work out. you can always take music classes and most colleges have very good music programs. And about the sucking thing, dont know if your serious, or wanting comments to boost that ego, so let that go. MMkay?:D

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Dark Mazda, you don't mention learning to read music unless you included that under the general heading of "Theory." I just want to emphasize that almost any music school I can think of, and certainly any one worth its salt, will require that you do read music, most likely both bass and trebel clef.

Another concern I have is what appears to be a disconnect about your perceived level of ability in which you say you suck and yet you plan to sacrifice your current schooling to make music a career.

Here's some motherly advice...a professional music career is extremely competitive and demanding. You will see how competitive as soon as you enter music school and see for yourself how seriously some of your classmates are taking their chosen instrument. If you do feel a deep seated love for music, but feel your present level of bassmanship is lacking to the level of suckage...get really serious NOW and start addressing each or your perceived deficiencies now before you even enter music school.

13. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Go for it, man. I just started music college two weeks ago, and I love it. Don't worry about not knowing any theory, or not being as good as you want to be... that's exactly why you want to be going. ;)

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  15. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    A friend of mine is at the New England Conservatory in Boston. He loves it. That's one of the more exclusive schools in the country though, and it's way expensive. I've heard mixed things about Berkley. Some people swear by it. Some say it's a little generic. A lot of people who go to Berkley end up dropping out. The Berkley dropout is kind of a cliche'. I don't go to there, so I couldn't say. Anyway if you are serious about making a career in music, some education will give you an edge. It also depends on what you want to do. At a music conservatory, you would end up with a specialized degree, like a BA in jazz performance and composition. Or you could get your bachelor's in whatever, and minor in music. There are plenty of routes you could take. Which one depends on what you want to do with the rest of your life. Anyhow, go for it. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to get in to some of these schools. Berkley would accept a tambourine playing gorilla if he graduated high school.

16. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Yes.. my piano and my theory teacher at the Community College here tells me I should try out for "Manhattan School of Music", which the best school in this area for music... I heard mixed thingsa bout Berklee as well...

But this is what I want to do, and I'm learning this theory stuff very quickly :)

DM

17. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Yup. Manhattan, AKA "the new school" is top-notch.
    A guitar player friend of mine graduated from Manhattan with a degree in composition/performance a few years ago. His playing speaks worlds for the school. When he started, he was a pretty average player. The guy smokes now. Good luck getting in. The audition process is grueling.