Thinking about going with 2/210 cabs (long)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Apr 12, 2003.

1. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm seriously considering going with 2/210 set up with my Ampeg B4r. At last nights gig my ampeg 610 cab combined with my carvin 210 was way too loud and boomy for the room I was playing. By the time I turned down low enough and reduced the bass frequencies enough to make it sound good out front, I couldn't hear myself playing and my drummer and guitar player were complaining they couldn't hear me. So I decided to unplug my 610 cab and crank the 210 which was still at shoulder level because it was sitting on top of my unpluged 610 cab. Man it sounded great! It was making my shirt flap in the breeze it was creating :D We could all hear it onstage but no more too loud and boomy out front.This is about the 4th time in the last couple of years I've done this with very satisfying results. This is really starting to make me rethink things. Why haul around a big huge cab when I'm not really using it to it's potential. I have a smaller set up 2 Bag End 15's but haven't really been able to get my sound the way I want it from them. So I'm thinking a couple of 210 cabs raised off the floor so the top cab is at shoulder level would be the way to go. This rig would be very portable and plenty loud enough for me to hear myself. If the two cabs were too loud I could always unplug one. If not loud enough or needed more low end I have PA support for that. The key would be getting the cabs raised up high enough so at least the top cab would be close to ear level. Any one else use a set up like this? Any suggestions on raising the cabs up higher? I just couldn't believe how much more I liked the way the band sounded and my bass sounded to me when I cranked that one 210 cab by itself. I probably was pushing it too hard so I figure 2 cabs would be better. Sorry this is such a long ramble , hope it made sense. :bassist:
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Oh btw I'm thinking another Carvin 210 or Avatar 210 because they both make 4 ohm versions. So that would be 700watts through 410's
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

2x2x10 was my setup for a long time. I like the combination of portability and volume.

For awhile I used an Ampeg over an EV-loaded Mesa/Boogie... I liked the way the tones of those 2 cabs blended. I then switched to a pair of SWR Goliath Juniors. The Juniors are extremely light, making portability a breeze... they sound great too.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

P.S. I used 8 ohm cabs, but SWR Juniors are also available in 4 ohms.
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Do you set the cabs on the floor or raise them up? that's kind of where I'm headed so I can hear them better. I'm thinking either putting them on milk crates or a couple of bar stools side by side. Whatever I use needs to hold about 150 pounds.

About 4 years ago the band I was playing in opened for T Graham Brown (a country singer), and his bass player used 2 of the SWR 210 cabs with an Art pre amp with a stereo power amp. He set his up on an anvil case so the speakers were about shoulder high. It sounded great and this was outdoors on a huge stage. I'm sure what the folks out front were hearing was PA so the 210 cabs were pretty much just to hear himself. I felt kinda goofy hauling an Ampeg stack on and off stage when the real,pro was using a small set up for the same gig.
  6. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.

I use 1 or 2 Bag End D10BD 4 ohm cabs.

I have on occasion placed one on a milk crate but don't much lately.

I often place one or both on end to gain some height; the cabs are about 22 x 18 so you gain 8" of height arranging 2 in this manner.

I use a homemade gramma but this only adds about an inch.

Have fun.

7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yeah my Bag End 15's sound good but I think I just like the sound of multiple 10's better. Money is kinda tight right now so I may be looking to sell some of my cabs or make a trade for a 4ohm 210 cab. btw my amp has stereo power amps 350x2 that's why I'm interested in 2 4ohm cabs.
  8. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i would say place 1 210, on the floor, then put a crate on top of that and then put a 210 on the top. this seems like it would keep your low end running ion the ground so you can feel the bass. as well as keeping one higher so you can hear it. this seems more practical to me.

or even place one on the florr, then put one on the side or other area of the stage, like set it up as a monitor in front.

i dont know just rambling
  9. single 210 for small gigs, double for medium, and D.I. out to main P.A. on large venues while maintaining stage volume!

Very versatile rig using 8 ohms cabinets.[​IMG]
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Question - was it was one of those stages where walls enclose 3 sides of the stage?
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My suggestion is sell all your cabs and get two Bergantino 210's. I had this rig for a while and it was amazing. Jim just redesigned these cabs and they sound even bigger now. You'll never have a problem hearing yourself again.
  12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I have two 2-10 Goliath Jr. III's that I use with my SWR SM-400S and the sound is great! I really love the portability also. It sure beats lugging around a 4-10 cabinet! I stack them on an old piano bench and it definetly helps keep them from being boomy (on wooden stages) and projects the sound at ear level. I agree with emjazz's comment concerning using two Bergantino 2-10 cabinets but I'm not sure if the B4r would have sufficient power for 2 Bergs (I'm not familar with the B4r specs). Bergs tend to love wattage! I bought a HT210 Berg from emjazz and the sound is awesome! They are heavier (70 lbs for the Berg verses 47 lbs for the Jr III) but they have a much fuller sound. I haven't tried one of my Jr III's with the Berg but I suspect it would sound good.:)
  13. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Stand them on their sides then stack. Great sound. I had two pair for years but now I'm in love with a 4*10 tilted back on a piece of foam. It's all good.
  14. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I could tell from your description of the gig. These stages are the bane of musicians everywhere. THey weren't designed foir bands. They were designed for theatre where voices often weren't miced and had to travel. So they made stages that act like a giant flare that amplify and throw sound.

Unfortunately, bass frequencies bounce around these stages, and get louder with each reflection. So they sound like mud. Then when you try to cut some lows, the slighest touch of the EQ has you sounding like a banjo.

I posted a thread looking for ways to pull a good dound on these sorts of stages and we came up with something that works. Click
    here to read the thread.

I wouldn't sell your gear. Rather I'd work with what you've got to beat these stages at their own game :)
  16. BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I agree with Petebass that there are other ways to get rid of boominess.

If portability is what you want, then go 2 210s. Like Chopper, I use 2 Eden 210s. Very versatile, but loud when you need it. Our drummer likes me to split them on each side of him.

I also keep them off the floor (GRAMMAs).

17. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I have been using a Carvin 210 for a few years now, and love it. I might add a 15 just to get more out of the bottom. I always just let the 210 on the floor and nobody has a problem hearing it. Just put it a few feet behind you (behind the drummers hat is a good place).

If you want to drop down to 2ohms, why not use a 4ohm 15? I'd think that would round things out better than another 210. Just my opinion...

18. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Thank you petebass for the link to the other thread. That was my situation exactly. Being loud enough will never be the problem with my 610 cab. Getting the 610 up off the floor would be a chore. My Bag End rig is the cure for portablity when I need it, but looking back 15's weren't the right choice for me. I should have gone with 210 cabs. Eventually I will exchange the 15 for a pair of 210's. I think that way I should have a set up for any situatuion. I will remember this thread when I come across this problem again. Get the cabs up off the floors seems to be the answer. I think I knew this but didn't make the connection at the time. THANKS :bassist:
  19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Seeing as how Epifani now has their line of "ultra light" cabs with the neodymium drivers and lighter weight wood (40% lighter than non-UL cabs, overall), two of their T-210UL's would be a very portable, killer sounding rig. I just picked up a T-112 and a T-110UL, and the combination is incredibly full and articulate.