Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THINKING ABOUT HIPSHOT D-TUNER FOR EB MM STINGRAY

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WILLEEVEE, Mar 16, 2003.

1. WILLEEVEE

WILLEEVEE

Mar 16, 2003
    I'M THINKING ABOUT HAVING A HIPSHOT INSTALLED ON MY MM STINGRAY...ANYONE FORSEE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THAT? ANYONE ALREADY HAD IT DONE & LIKE/DISLIKE THE RESULTS?

2. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had one customer eventually ask me to take off the hipshot D-tuner he originally spec'd for his bass when it came in for a tune up. He was not happy with its performance.

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    If you plan on spending a lot of time here on talkbass, please don't shout. (press your caps lock button)

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've used several HipShot Xtenders (the new name of the Dtuner) with great results.
    It's difficult to setup at first, but once it's done it simply never moves.
    Lubricating the nut slot with a fat pencil helps a lot.
    I'm pretty sure a downtuned D will sound killer on a MM bass.

5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    While it's not really on the topic per se, I saw a DTuner for banjo in the StewMac catalog. I think that is very spiff. Those banjo guys deserve to drop tune and play some Tool (or whatever band that uses drop tuning that they may prefer), just as much as the rest of us.

6. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I put a Dtuner on my G&L and have never had a problem with it. If you are any bit good with your hands, its a simple install. They are great when you need to de tune for a song in the middle of a set, and don't have time for a tuner.

I've moved on from my modern rock band and don't have a need for it for it in my blues baand if your interested since G&L and EB use the same tuners.

joe

7. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've got one installed on my Stingray, and I've never had a problem with. It does take a little practice and adjustment to tune it correctly, but that's all explained in the documentation. The really cool thing is that you've got a lot of room with your tuning options. If you use a heavier guage E string, you can detune to C without things getting too "floppy". B is also possible, but more difficult to deal with.