Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thinking about LED's.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i've really been considering saving up for some LED's. i think that in my bass (Ibanez SR3005) that red would look the best. i know of http://www.simscustom.com , but do they have a location in the US. or is there any other company's that do the same kind of thing? thanks a lot!

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Why pay "Sims" hundreds of dollars when you can do it for about 30 dollars yourself?
    I did!

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ^^ That fella did a good job, I remember he detailed the proccess in a topic in the last...several months? I'm not sure when, exactly, but doesn't it look awesome?

Finally...pshaw to the red! Too many basses with red LEDs. And what about those LED strip things that TBer posted about? "Hot Dotz", they were called. They looked pretty swanky, but you need some room on the back of the headstock and they're only for the side of the fretboard.

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Forgot to mention this,
    You can get dual colour led's off Ebay! (look under electronic components).
    I've bought 20 red/blue ultrabrights for £10 (18 dollars?).
    There's only one extra wire to contend with and the changeover switch is not much bigger than an ordinary on/off.
    (Centre off,down blue,up red)
    I'm working on another neck right now, It'll be a while before it's finished but I'm taking photos as I go along so I can post a clearer thread on how it's done.

Now these look interesting!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66954&item=3833990695&rd=1

6. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Paul A, you are my hero man. My gosh. Though I love Sim's work and have them myself, the costs are so enormous. He was slated to open a US shop and it never happened.

I would love to learn this great process you have developed. Guess I'd better go find me an old neck !!

Thanks again !! Maybe you should make a webpage about it sometime !! If you need help, let me know and I could even host it for you.

7. Considering what bass he has and how it looks (especially in person) either red or green would work best for his bass. Also, about doing it himself, I'm doubting he doesn't really wanna risk messin up his $1,000+ bass for this, especially since he really doesn't (to my knowledge) have much experience with working on basses (other than the ocassional setup). So I think taking it to someone who KNOWS what their doing would be the best bet for him right now if he were to get this done.

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    exactly. SIMS are expensive, but still, are there any other company's that do this stuff?

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Paul A, I'll send you my ESP, I want blue LEDs put in it :D. Are you for hire?
    Ray

10. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    We'll all send ya basses if you are interested. LOL !!! Cha-ching !! Still I would imagine being alot cheaper. :)

11. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    See, I've been thinking about sending my Alembic Rogue 5 to Sims for lights, because they're so reasonable! Fitting just side LEDs from Alembic is around $1000, and a bunch more for fronts. I am not willing to do the job myself (I like the idea of recourse in case of major meltdown!). SO, anyone who does have these lights, are they bright enough to use on a lit stage as well as a dark one? Do you recommend the magnifier lenses? What else can you tell us?
    Thanks!

Larry

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

i remember about you talking bout the proces but cant remember if you unglued the fretboard and then you put it back on the neck???

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    unglued?

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I totally agree, but it's just to show that there ARE alternatives to Sims. A good luthier should probably be able to do that with little to no problems.

IIRC, I think he just drilled the holes and ran the LED wires down under the fingerboard (since there's a channel running the length of the truss rod), leaving the fb on the entire time.

15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You know rip off the fretboard

16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Yeah, now i remember.

17. Paul A

Paul A