Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about mod-ing my p bass special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by orskard, Oct 27, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    hey, im thinking my fender p bass special, sunburst and take the black guard off and put a red shell guard on it instead. and also add pick up and bridge covers.

here is my question...my bass has p and j pickups. could i put a p bridge cover on it? i know it wont cover the bridge jazz pup but will it look stupid? any ideas? also i would probally tape them on for a while before i would drill into my bass, if i ever drilled.

any thoughts? or even pictures?
    my bass is getting kinda plain looking to me, so i want to make a change visualy.

thanks!

2. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    bump-age

anyone?

3. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Fender Bridges are the same on Jazz and Precisions, so if you want to cover both, a little mix n' match may be in order. I don't think the one exposed p-up would look stupid at all, but if you use the Jazz Bridge cover, you get to have that cool big "F" on it.

4. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    yah, i think im gunna lay down some cash and get the tourtuse shell guard the jazz bridge and p pickup.

does a lot of people use the covers on this site?

5. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Well, Me, for one :smug: . I cant speak for everyone but I know a few notable players who have: James Jamerson, Marcus Miller put one one his sig. model, and I hear Will Lee swears by them. They make an excellent hand rest (or thumb, if you feel like playing toward the bridge) Plus they really go a long way toward the vintage look you seem to be after. Taping the on first is a good idea though, because once you've drilled you can't go back.