1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking about nabbing a Ibanez SR Prestige... help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Basically, I've been thinking about another 6er and The only one I can find that I might like in my price range is the Ibanez Prestige SR1006EBG. The problem is that I have tried at least 6 SR basses and hated all but 1. They feel great but the tone is always lacking. But, none of the ones I have tried were Prestige's and I was wondering if that would make much of a difference?

I know that the lower end models (all of the models I had played on) had Bartolini MK-1 pups and pre which had zero tone definition; Highs, lows and mids all sounded similarly bland. Are the Custom Bartolini pickups that the Prestige basses have any better?

The only thing that led me to wanting to try one out again was this video, which has the best tone I've ever heard come out of an Ibanez bass. My personal tone preference is the low-mid growl you hear from Fodera, Ken Smith, and similar basses. If you've ever listen to Tom Kennedy or Hadrien Feraud you've heard the tone I'm looking for.

So anyone think I could manage a sound that I would like out of one of these basses?

2. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Just my opinion- but if you are looking at Soundgears, I'd hold out for an older one made in Japan. You can tell the MIJ ones because the serial # will start with an F. Keep an eye on Ebay and you can score some nice ones dirt cheap. I have several Soundgears, and the MIJ ones are totally different and way more consistent than the newer Korean, Indonesian, Chinese etc... models. Look for model #'s 800 on up.

3. wait for a cheap Warwick Thumb BO 6 to pass by. Really does a GREAT job at the low mid growl (as you might know). Maybe not your cup of tea though. OTOH, most BTB basses I've tried were great in that tone department (if you wanna stay with an Ibanez).

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY

The one's I've briefly...oh so briefly...played sounded pretty good.

EDIT: that's not me in any of the videos...lol

5. I actually owned a Thumb BO 6 for a few months and I didn't like the sound (or feel for that matter) of it at all. I think I got a lemon but I'm not willing to try another. And the BTBs just don't grab me aesthetically :p.

6. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Go for it. You can mod it at any time. Then again are we bass players ever satisfied?

7. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    Eh..check out the SR 20th Anniversary. I'm not sure if they make it in a 6'er though..
    But its a Mohogany body with bubinga neck. Sounds really good!

8. Thanks for the clips, I really dug the tone all of them but specifically the YYZ cover clip. The tone there was awesome! I think my decision is actually harder to make now, lol. Either the SR506BM in the vid or the Prestige I've been eying :help:.

9. I'd appreciate any more input you guys could give and know there are a bunch of Ibanez soundgear faithful here :).

10. I love mine because of the slim/narrow necks, looks, and sound.

Mine are also the SR400/405 series without barts, but do have nice sounding pu's, and 3-band "stylesweep" EQ (if that's the sound you like).

SR thread > http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521017