1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about not posting any more hot deals due to flippers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobcruz, Oct 23, 2013.

1. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    It bothers me when I post a hot deal hoping some other TBers will get the same great deal I did, only to see the inventory vanish and turn up in the for sale folder later at a higher price. I know it doesn't violate any TalkBass policy, it's not immoral or illegal, but it still bothers me. I don't post hot deals for other TBers to try for a quick profit--I want to share good fortune with other players who really want the product and may not be able to afford it except at the hot deal price.

Again, I'm not putting people down for flipping or attempting to flip gear. If you do that, there's no need to defend it in this thread. Notice I said this bothers ME, personally, and I'm not sure what to do other than not post the deals. But then the non-flipping players I wish could get the deal won't get the deal either.

What to do? :help:

2. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm with you, man. A community should look out for each other instead of trying to take advantage of others in the community.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I see your point for sure. The fact is though that this is still the internet.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Flippers have money set aside to jump on these deals. Flipping applies to houses, cars, etc. Even McDonald's flips hamburgers.

Doubt that will change. "That's the American way!".

Not posting them, IMO, is your only control.

5. The flip works out for both parties. Everyone here knows about the recent Aguilar fiasco. I missed the deal and saw it after the fact. I was able to get a pair from two sellers who each flipped one. The sellers made some cash in the flip and I got a pair of brand new cabs for a better price than the used market fetches. Win-win situation. Some flippers will try to get every cent and their items will sit. Others will pass on a good deal and still make a little money.

6. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas

Actually, it does...

7. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I was going to keep my Aguilar DB112, but then I realized I'd probably need a new head for it. That was going to be too expensive, so I sold it to a TBer who really wanted it. I sold it for $250, made $100 profit, when I could have made $300 profit selling for $450... but I didn't want to wait around and needed cash fast. It was a win-win for both of us. I got a little extra $ in my pocket, and he still got a fabulous deal on a great cab.

Overall, the market determines the price. If there's a demand for something you just bought, I say sell it for the price determined by the demand - even if you're profiting a little bit.

That being said, if you're buying stuff dirt cheap and then just dumping it on Talkbass, and that's all you ever do on here, well, that's not cool. But if you're patient, and show some class and tact, there's usually a fine line where everyone wins.

8. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Thanks, TXLawDawg, I didn't know that. Intentional flipping would violate the spirit of that rule for sure, but perhaps not the letter of it, since these hot deals are normally purchased from retail sellers. The price may be wholesale or below if the retailer is taking a loss on a closeout or something, but I think the flippers would still argue that they're not purchasing at wholesale.

jcoutu1, thanks for adding the "flipee's" viewpoint. I'm such an idealist, I wish the flippers had left the deal for you to discover while there was still inventory. I just don't see how to make that more likely to happen.

Peace, Bob

9. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I'm totally with you on "unintentional" flipping. You buy something with the intention of trying it out, and either returning or flipping it if it doesn't work for your needs. Nothing wrong with that in my book. It's different if you buy the last three examples of an item with the intention of keeping one and selling two. That might actually violate the policy LawDawg quoted above.

10. Yeah, I think its against the spirit of what should be going on here...I will still post and hope more of us do the right thing than not

11. I think that when you post a hot deal there will be a mix of people jumping on it. Some are profiteer flippers, some buy and intend to keep but end up deciding not to, and some buy it and keep it.

I understand the distaste for the flippers, but then again this is the way much of life works. I think you should continue to post deals and be happy for the people that do buy it because they really want it.

And remember, the Aggie flippers are still providing a service for the folks that were not at the right place at the right time. You can get a brand new unopened DB112-NT for 400 bucks instead of 599. Why hate that guy? Forget what he is making - he is saving you 200 bucks!

I think it's all good.

12. I don't see anything wrong with it. How did you get to your $3000 Valent?. Probably by seeing a deal and buying the bass. Playing it for a while and then selling it higher, getting a good deal on a better bass, playing it for a while.... etc.

It must be nice to be rich and be able to buy $5000 alembics and $3000 Sadowsky's but most of us are not and we trade up gear over the course of years to get the higher end equipment as our playing level and sound design increases.

There is even a show dedicated to this on TLC (??) called Trading Up.

13. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yeah, that's the problem.

14. Says the guy with the insane amount of gear. You are honestly saying that have never got a good deal and sold a piece of gear for more than you bought it for? When you sell your Aguilar's you are going to sell them for $163 including shipping right?

15. I got a killer deal on a music man big Al a few years ago thanks to the hot deals thread. To pass the good karma of that along I gave that bass away free of charge to an old local idol of mine who was in need. I've gotten some GREAT deals thanks to those threads and am very thankful for them.

16. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    While I do agree with what the OP says, I think the flippers are the minority overall.

And as others have said, the market will correct the pricing- when the first batch of the Aggies went out, guys were asking $500 for them, then the market started to get saturated and the prices went down. I won't lie and say I've never made a profit on anything I've sold, but I don't think I've ever screwed anyone over either.

Also, no one is forcing anyone to buy any of this stuff- while it is nice to get new (to you) gear and such, none of this is life saving medicine or anything.

17. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    As you can see by the "insane amount of gear" that I own, I don't sell my gear. No, I have never sold a piece of gear for more than I paid. In fact, I have given away gear that I no longer want.
    The Aggies I bought to keep.
    I have never bought a piece of gear with the intention of flipping. There are some on here that selfishly use our brotherhood for profit. It's selfish, and not in the spirit of "community".

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've gotten three really good deals thanks to TB'ers pointing them out:

'08 Am. Std. Jazz - A guy who worked at GC advised us that GC was blowing out the Blizzard Pearls. I went to my local GC and they had two of the BP Jazzes. Played both, took my favorite to the counter. Even the GC employees were shocked when it rang up at $499 without case or $599 with case. They had no idea. I still own and love that bass.

Stingray Classic - A TB'er told us about the MF coupon situation. I was able to use two coupons and got a good deal on the Classic. Try as I did, I just never felt as comfortable with any 'Ray as I do with my Fenders, so I traded it even-up for a Gretsch Broadkaster bass. Had zero intention of flipping it when I bought it.

The Great, Fantastic Aguilar Deal!! - Bought two and plan to keep them forever (unless a financial catastrophe requires me to sell most of my gear).

Point being that I personally look at these hot deals as a way to get something that I want for myself. So I hope people continue to post them; but I understand if they don't. I've also passed on most of them because they weren't anything I wanted, and I never considered flipping them. I don't have a problem with people that DO flip them though. If the end buyer is happy with THEIR deal, then I guess all is well...

19. This sums it up.

20. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    +1