Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about parting out my MIA Jazz ... help with values?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Oct 3, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a modified Fender MIA Jazz that's just not getting any playing time. I've come to the conclusion J tone just ain't for me.

I replaced the neck with an unlined fretless Moses, the tuners with Hipshot Ultralights, and the pickups with DiMarzio 123s. I have several pickguards, too.

What I'm thinking about doing is individually selling off the natural ash body, all the pickguards, the original MIA pickups, and the DiMarzios. I would then get either a J or P body from Warmoth set up for either a Pbass pickup or an EMG soapbar. This would allow me to reuse the neck, tuners, and case.

I would just sell the Jazz off, but I sold the original neck some time ago. I do have a new MightyMite J neck, but I think that wouldn't bring me any more than just selling the parts. The sale of these parts is how I'm planning on financing the new body, pickup and bridge.

Does anyone know the going market price for a used AmStd ash J body? What about the pickups?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks, Treena! I'm thinking eBay may be the best way...

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My thoughts are keep the body and rout it for EMG soapbars.

They are offered in several configurations (J,P,Hum) in the same size casing so you could potentially just try out a set and swap em if they dont work out for you.

If nothing else, just rout out the neck PU cavity for a P bass and make it a PJ.

Just my thoughts.

Peace
    Nick

4. Ken, I know a few bassist who would love those DiMarzio pups.

They list here for $100
    http://www.bestbassgear.com/4j_pickups.htm

Have you decided on Ebay yet?

[​IMG] Treena

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    did you say you had MIA pups? let me know if you are serious about selling them.... pm on the way!

P@