1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about picking up an Ashdown CL-210 Mini-Rig. Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Jul 19, 2007.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Looking for something small and fun to put in my at-home jam space and this thing seems to fit the bill. I know ashdown's have heaps of reliability problems, but I figure I'll just buy an extended warranty, and that'll be that.

Anyone played one of these and if so what'd you think? Alternately, if you have any other suggestions I'm all ears. I just want something to practice through that can get a little bit louder than bedroom volume and something i can possibly run a keyboard through.

2. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I bought one for the very same reason. Was looking for an in-home practice amp and this one easily fits the bill. I'd say its more novelty than amp, but in my apartment I'll never be able to fully crank the measley 65 watts anyway. At the moment, I run a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro thru it and sounds fine for living room fooling around and/or practice. Got mine at SameDayMusic for $199 w/free shipping. I might add that it comes in a HUGE box (all three pieces). Here's a short movie clip I found when doing my pre-purchase research:

http://www.gearblob.com/gear/21/ashdown-mini-stack-perfect-10-amp

3. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Here it sits on a small table next to the sofa:

CL210.

4. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
  5. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    wow! thanks a lot! I'm still a little on the fence, so I guess I'll just have to scour the net for another day or so before I pull the trigger.

But Jo, those videos were really helpful... thank you!

6. I wish they sold a head-only version... that stack sure looks cute, but I´d rather use one of my EBS NEO-112 cabs.

7. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Man... I'm just not sure. I'm trying to get the absolute best bedroom amp for little money and I can't decide if I should go with this which seems to offer a lot for 200 bones, or if I should go for a used Line 6 Lowdown 110 or a Roland Cube 30. Any suggestions?

I'd like tonal versatility if I can get it, but the main tone I'm after is an old school ampeg fliptop sound and possibly a slightly more aggressive classic rock sound.

8. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Like I said, I run a V-Amp Pro on the front end of my CL-210. On its own, its pretty plain jane. The Line 6 have great effects, but I think they're a bit overpriced. Roland are also good. Of the three, I would say the Roland is probably the most 'useful'. By 'useful', I mean more amp and less 'gimmick'. I wanted gimmick AND amp, so I went with the Ashdown. Plus, it looks kewl in my living room...

9. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Ahhh... I was all set to grab the Ashdown until I stumbled onto a used-but-mint 2006 roland bass cube for 139.... I had to grab it at that price. And if I hate it I can always unload it and still make a profit... We'll see in a few days when it gets here!

10. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I had one of those and while I didn't think it was the greatest sounding amp it was PERFECT for practicing at home with. Personally, I liked it more for the novelty than the tone.

I never would have sold it had I not just purchased another more powerful mini-rig that made it obsolete to me.