1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about picking up some old pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OptimusPrime, Sep 5, 2008.

1. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I've really been considering buying an old Mutron III and original Marshall Guv'nor. I'm not really liking the Micro Q-Tron I just got. But I need to fix (rewire) my bass before I make any real decisions. I've also always wanted a Guv'nor. I've planned on building one with the GGG kit for awhile now. But would love an original anyway. That's easily $400-500 worth of vintage pedals though. And the problem I have is if they break. Then I'm screwed. Should I do it?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Those are easy to re-sell without a loss, as long as they are working well. There are a few people out there that can repair an original Mutron competently, and Guv'nors are easy to repair, I've fixed a few of them.

3. i vote yes. i have both those pedals and they are excellent. plus like bongo said, their resale value is excellent.

go for it.

4. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Damn man, you sure do love vintage stuff. :bassist:

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    How much is the original Guv'nor worth??????

6. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    $120-$190.

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    My guitarist has one sitting around, I may have to make an offer :)

I know it's like 80's old. Black and says The Guv'nor is almost cursive writing.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, that's the "original" one everyone talks about. FWIW they show up on Ebay all the time, so you can monitor the selling prices pretty easily.

9. +1

when i first started looking for one, i thought them were 70's, but they are early 80's.

great sounding overdrive though, and the 3 band EQ is great for finding "your" tone.

10. prsbass

prsbass

Oct 13, 2006
    Seattle
    For some reason vintage pedals seem to sound better to me. I don't know if that's because I want them to or because they actually do but I'll always recommend trying old stuff just get a good perspective of what's out there. The Mu-tron is the best filter I've tried and I've tried a lot. A good deal on one would be $350-450 but paying $500-550 is fair since they always sell for around that anyway. I just got mine back from L sound yesterday and I'm going to try it out right now.