Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thinking about playing bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ugly bob, Feb 24, 2002.

1. ugly bob

ugly bob

Feb 24, 2002
    tacoma, WA USA
    at the risk of sounding like an ass in my first forum post, i have a few questions i hope someone can answer for me.

im currently looking for a bass. ive seen the real cheap ones, under $200. im not looking to sound really great, im not even sure if ill really do much with it, but are the cheapies alright to learn on? i just dont want to invest a lot in something i might not like as much as i think i might...

secondly, (again, i know this sounds stupid) but is it neccessary to own a bass? it seems like you could plug in a good pair of headphones..

thanks for listening to my questions

2. ugly bob

ugly bob

Feb 24, 2002
    tacoma, WA USA
    i meant amp, is it neccessary to own an amp...sheesh this sure is a great way to start off....(>_<)

3. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Ah.. yes you need an amp. Headphones lack an amplifier and thus wont work. You could use a stereo's microphone input, but that's somewhat risky, a stereo isnt built to handle that kind of output. As for the bass itself... try getting a used one. There are also some websites selling ultra cheap basses in your range.. but oh well

4. Hey, welcome to Talk Bass! :)

I'd suggest - like everyone - that you try some basses before you buy anything. INvesting in a "Top O' Range" bass is worth it - becuase if you don't like bass playing, it's easier to sell off then a cheaper range model.

However, I spent £109 on my bass, and I love it :D($130~)

You do need an amp as said above.
    I would suggest a Peavey Microbass Combo amp. That costs around £80-90, and maybe just over $100. (Combo means it has everything you need in one).

If you have the money, try out some of the more expensive models, see if they are ok.. Try n' learn a song to go into the shop to play on the bass?

And remember, just 'coz it's expensive, don't mean it's good, and that looks are really nothing.. Unless the guitar does sound good. :)

G'luck. I'm sure some others with more expierence can give a better explanation.

And as the saying goes - 'There is no stupid questions, only stupid people' :)

5. Welcome to Talkbass!

My first bass was a Squier precision. It cost me $150 brand new.

<--- This is my second bass, a Yamaha BBG5A. I bought it from www.MusiciansFriend.com for $299. Best $299 I ever spent. Granted it was on sale at the time.

If you are looking for a cheap bass just to mess around on, Musicians friend has a Rogue 4 string bass for $79. I would not recommend buying it though. A crappy bass might turn you off, and you would be missing out on a lot. I suggest either a Squier, Yamaha, or Ibanez. All three have models in your price range, and all three make decent entry-level instuments.

As far as amps go, you do need one. But, if you shop around, you can probably get an inexpensive practice amp for $100 or so. You really don't need anything huge at the moment if you are just getting started.

6. ugly bob

ugly bob

Feb 24, 2002
    tacoma, WA USA
    thanks guys, that was much faster than i expected. and yeah, while i was messing around online i saw that 80 dollar rogue bass, but it got mixed reviews and it sure would piss me off to have it break really soon.

im looking at ibanez and squire, and they do have some models id be able to afford.

as far as the amp situation goes, i talked to a customer service person on musiciansfriend.com and she said that their headphone amp things(they resemble a walkman i think) would suffice. any opinions on them? id rather get one of those...

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Another super-low price brand that might be worth considering is Essex (<- click). Talkbass user Nino-Brown bought a Jazz bass copy, upgraded by replacing the pickups and, I think, bridge, and last I heard he said he loved it. This coming from a man who owns $3,000-dollar Sadowsky basses...

A headphone amp would work fine. You won't disturb anyone when playing and it's easy to carry with you. Downside is that it isn't much good when playing together with anyone else... but the cheaper amps are usually too weak to use even in a pretty quiet band setting, so... if you're playing for yourself, a headphone amp might do the trick.

8. I think you are talking about the "Dean bass in a Box." I've never played through one, but $20 for that compared to $120 for a little combo, I'd go for the Bass in a Box if your budget is that tight.

I recommend getting a bigger amp once you've been playing for awhile though. I doubt the BIAB will give you the full effect of an amp. I thought about getting one just for practicing though.

9. ugly bob

ugly bob

Feb 24, 2002
    tacoma, WA USA
    yeah, i mean when the time comes i can always buy an amp, but i dont see myself jamming with anyone for quite awhile, so im gonna go with the little bass in a box for the time being.

thanks again for everyones input on all this!

10. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    You can never go wrong with a Yamaha. I have no problems with Ibanez or Squier but they are quite controversial. There are many people who really dislike them and once you got a little experience and skills you may notice that you are one of them.
    Yamaha is a pretty safe bet, I think. For the pricerange of below 500$ they are hard to beat.
    Also I would check out some OLPs. They are quite new and are basically cheap immitations of the Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray basses which can get quite expensive. The OLPs are being build in China under the license of Ernie Ball.
    i have not yet played one but I have heard some really good things about them.

11. go to musician's friend: right now they have a good beginner's yamaha RBX for $129!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont think It is possible to get a better bass for that price. Jump on that deal, man!!!!!!!!

12. Hey man, welcome to talkbass.
    Hey, it's cool you wanna play bass. I didn't have one and one of my friends dad has a couple of basses and he was playing one day and he let me try for a few minutes and I was hooked. I got my bass for Christmas (Squire P-Bass). I like it, but this summer I might get another one like some Fender. But, I was just like you for a while, and I know what you mean with price ranges and stuff since I'm 15! But, yea, get like something you can afford, but is good enough where it isn't absolute crap, then you can play and see if you really want it.

Hope you get a good bass, and find it as fun as I do,
    Oddman

13. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Hey man sup... the RBX series by Yamaha is awesome.. I got the same one a while back when i first started out and Ive been playing it ever since.. it has pretty good sound =D... i payed 200 for mine.. but now there like 129.. *frowns*.. well Im gonna be in the market for a newer bass this summer cause i wanna upgrade.. thinking about a Bc Rich warlock or a fender steve harris p bass..
    but deffinitly jump on that yamaha.. Im running it through a older(1978) peavey mark 3 series amp and its nice

14. ugly bob

ugly bob

Feb 24, 2002
    tacoma, WA USA
    so did most of you guys teach yerself to play? im thinking about getting a teacher, my aunt, hehe.

i tried picking up guitar about a year ago and i just totally sucked at it, couldnt get the hang of it, i dont want this to turn out the same way..but ive heard bass is easier to learn/play..

15. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    I wouldn't say its easier.. like to pickup some of the songs are easier cause its root note... but if you play outside the rootnote.. say like really technical stuff it can be harder than guitar but that comes to you... I think to be able to play super fast on a bass string even if its one note.. you can play much faster on guitar cause the strings are smaller... but I taught myself... but go for it man.. good luck

16. I, too, just started at Christmas with a Squier Bass Pak. Comes with the Affinity P-Bass, BP-15 amp, strap, cable, all the necessities, as well as a video to teach you some things about the bass. All in all, well worth the $300 it costs.

as far as bass being easier to play, its kind of a yes and no question. There are some aspects (like blink 182 music hehe) that is plenty easy. There are also the things which are much harder. You won't pick up a bass and absolutely rock, it, like all things, have to be worked on.

17. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Beginning bass is, apart from the purely physical aspects of it (instrument weight, string thickness etc), as easy as it gets when playing an instrument (IME/IMO/Blahblahblah). However, to become proficient at playing bass is just as difficult as becoming proficient on any other instrument. Maybe harder than some.

Bass is only easy to play if you want it to be. ;)

18. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    There are quite a few companies that offer packages that include a bass, an amp, a strap, a cord and an instructional video. Right off the top of my head, Fender and Ibanez offer such packages. You might want to check into something like that.

Welcome to TalkBass!

EDIT: ;) @ JoeRules00