Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about purchasing a Fulltone BassDrive.. Cons?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Nov 14, 2002.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I am planning to buy a Fulltone BassDrive Pedal...

Would you guys recommend me more to that pedal or more towards the Big Muff Pi USA?

I tend to use alot of distortion in our band (quite a bit actually) and was wondering what you guys recommend... and the best price i've seen for them is $179.. any better prices on these babies?? Thanks for any help

DM

2. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    The Fulltone bassdrive is an awesome overdrive pedal. Next to it, I wouldn't even consider the
    EH Big Muff. No comparison. The Fulltone has a much better sound and more diversity to the
    overdrives it can produce.

3. Ditto.

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Fulltone is great.

I would also consider a Dredgetone Angler. I've had both and prefer the Dredgetone. It is about $70 cheaper too. Bonus!!

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    lo-z.. thanks for the input.. i might look in to that one... i found it for $114.95 at pedalgeeks.com with free shipping.. what do you think about the price?

Thanks

DM

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

That's where I bought it for about the same price. The pedal was late shipping from the manufacturer, but Dan, the owner of pedalgeek, did a great job communicating with me. I would definitely buy from him again.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    sweeet.. i will give this a shot and see how i would like it... i only use a Zoom 506 II right now for everything and I guess I Start somewhere to get out of the multieffect pedals.. even though the 506 has some good effects..

DM

PS: Does it come with a power jack?
    PPS: Does this pedal have the "true bypass"?

Thanks for everything Lo-z

DM

8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The pedal is designed with a 'line-driver' which is always on. It's some sort of buffer amp. So I assume that it is FET buffered and not true bypass. It doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on my tone when switched off. The small size is a plus if you use a pedalboard. However, the knobs are close to the switch. I sometimes move a knob when pressing the switch. But I am a bit of a klutz.

Power jack is an 1/8" mini phone plug with positive tip. (Like EH.) I power it with my Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II with no problem.

You should browze there website . It has lots of good information.

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Another vote for the Fulltone. Nice true bypass and 2 different OD/Distortion modes (I set one for mild OD and the other for an almost fuzzed out distortion.) It can be powered by the normal power supply (Boss-style).

-KB

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Me too - it's one of the few distortions that won't screw up your sound however crazy you set it.

The bassdrive rocks!

Alex

11. That Dredgetone Angler sounds interesting. Do you have any audio samples of it. I want to rilly crank up distortion for certain bits of songs but not lose the bass. I've used the Big Muff PI and been disappointed by the loss of clarity in the lows and have resorted to a (sigh) Boss ODB-3. It's good for fast on and offs and I can blend the clean and wet signals but I hate the distortion sound.

12. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Could somebody post sound clip/clips of the Fulltone ?

13. After reading some more posts I think I'm leaning towards getting the Fulltone Bassdrive. Here's what I want to do:
    I already have an early 70's SVT and play a 73' Fender P so I don't rilly need to emulate the tubes. What I do need is to change tone rapidly from warm and crunchy to almost over the top distortion for choruses, bridges or whatever without changing volume or losing bass or punch. The music we play is very fast crust/grind in a slightly lower tuning and I personally play in a rapid picking style so keeping the punch and clarity is important even during the buzzed out bits.
    The Big Muff PI fails in this respect although I love it's tone. The punch goes out the window and the bass gets muddy whenever I hit the switch even with the sustain nearly off.
    The Boss ODB-3 does an adequate job of keeping the bass with mix set to about 1/2 wet 1/2 dry but the distortion is horrible, metallic and thin.
    I think its down to the Fulltone Bassdrive or the Dredgetone Angler (bass version). (anyone wanna buy a Big Muff)
    Any thoughts, advice, sound clips, would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheerz,
    Wounded Paw

14. The Fulltone is more flexible with more tones in it then the Dredgetone.

The Fulltones Boost Switch makes it two effects in one.

15. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Rather than starting a new thread, I'll just add to this one.

My band's dynamic has changed quite a bit as we decided to give our second guitarist the boot and work as a trio. Needless to say, I now have use for distortion. I have a few guitar effects, including a tube distortion pedal, but it doesn't work well with my bass. So anyway, after reading all these threads on OD/DS pedals, I've narrowed it down to the Fulltone and the Dredgetone (which is why I'm posting in this thread).

I like the Fulltone because of the true bypass and two modes. However, the price is a big turn off (even though I'm willing to pay for it), and I'm concerned about it being too "tame." Plus I don't know how much I'll really need the two distortions, as I run my bass through a tube channel of my amp with relatively high gain for a nice throaty, agressive sound.

The Dredgetone seems like it could be what I need because I've read that it can get a really agressive sound, and it is significantly cheaper than the Fulltone. The cons, however, are that it has no true bypass and lacks a second channel (in case I need it).

To those of you have have experience with either or both of these pedals, do you think you can these pedals can help me out with the following needs:

First off, I need something to help thicken the sound when my guitarist and I are playing heavy rhythms or harmonizing "lead" lines. I won't be using this pedal all the time because when we play rhythms, I like the sound of my bass unaffected, otherwise the combination gets too gritty/noisy, but there are a couple of songs where I do need that extra heaviness, because I'm doing the job of the bass and the rhythm guitar while the guitarist plays lead over it. This is pretty much my primary need for a pedal. Also, when I solo (or try to), I want to be able to sound like a second guitar :)eek: :p), and I want to use it for violin like volume swells (clean just doesn't work all the time).

So yeah, to sum it all up, I need to cop the sound of a bass and rhythm guitar playing in unison for the heavier songs, and I need to be able to get a nice, smooth "lead guitar" type sound. I'm not so concerned about extra OD/DS channels (ala the Fulltone) because right I'm working with none, but the added versatility couldn't hurt. So if anyone can tell me which pedal they think could help me out the most, please don't hesitate to speak up. I'd appreciate it very much!

Thanks in advance,

H.J.

16. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    On the topic of the Angler, does anyone know whether the bass version works well for guitar, too?

17. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, I've owned both and they're both great pedals. I ended up sticking with the fulltone, primarily because the two channel feature was a big plus to me.

They'll both add a good o/d grind to your sound very well, the dredgetone has a slight edge over the fulltone there. But the fulltone is more versatile and you'll be able to get more of a 'lead' distortion sound from it - should that be something you want. Additionally, the two channels makes it easier to swap sounds without changing settings. I use that in a few of the songs with my band, going between mild o/d to heavy dist and back again.

Just to confuse your decision, in the mid point price range between fulltone and dredgetone is the Tech21 Sansamp TRI-AC. You can pick one up new for $150 at MF or ZZounds, or about $120 on ebay. Programmable OD/Dist stomp box, for bass and guitar, with three user memories and three different amp models to choose from (fender, mesa, marshall) www.tech21nyc.com

18. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks, David.

I have another quick question for you. Based on my research, I've found that many Fulltone owner/users claim that it can be too mild, but I read one review that said anything past 11 o'clock on the drive is ridiculously overdriven. Which, in your experience, is the more accurate review? Also, the most common comparison I've heard is to Jack Bruce's tone with Cream (what are some songs in particular that would be good indicators?), which I think would be too old-school for my needs. However, if my understanding is correct, this is one of the many possible tones that this box can produce, which is why it gets the raving reviews about versatility, while the Dredgetone generally has more aggressive distortions from the get go. Am I correct in making these assumptions?

PS: Don't know whether it matters or not, but I play fingerstyle exclusively.

19. Sounds good to me. I have to check one of these out.

20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you're into bass fuzz, you may want to look at the ZVex Wooly Mammoth. Really crunchy, fuzzy, sometimes synthy. And works great with a P-Bass.