1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about quiting music to go back to uni

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by punkbassistfc, Mar 10, 2008.

1. hey guys,

i just recently broke up with a girl and it made me realise how hard it is to have a relationship and play in a full time kinda band. I'm 22 years old and i'm considering quiting music and going back to uni. i don't want to sound like a pussy or anything but the relationship break up has really screwed with my head a heap. She was one of those low-self esteem, blame everything on you types who kept blaming my band for the break up. i really loved her and we where going out for 2 years but she always gave me **** for being in a band! I was wondering if anybody else has been through the same thing, and if you think i'm acting like an idiot please tell me.

Cheers guys

2. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Get a new woman, keep playing & go back to university.

3. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I've had situations similar in the past, though doubtfully as serious relationships. I've sort of come to the realization that I get two to three of the following at once, but not all four: band, job, girlfriend, classes. If you're serious about going back to uni and could deal with not being able to play out regularly, it can be plenty rewarding, but also very trying.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    She sounds like a wonderful girl. :eyebrow:

Going back to school isn't such a bad idea. Furthering your education is usually a good decision and may help you in getting a good paying job in the future. You don't need to give up music completely.

5. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY

QFT, +1, what he said..................:bassist:

6. Going back to university can't be combined with playing in the band?
    My heart says: play music; but the brains are kicking in and are pressing for the educational choice ...

7. Thanks guys, my only problem is that i do a night shift job and cannot quit because the money is too good! She had her moments, but yeah, she was a spoilt little brat who used to kick and scream if she did not get her way. I miss the company more then her and thats why i want to make changes to really help me move on with my life. My band is getting quite successful, we have supported bon jovi, the used, rise against, all time low and a heap of others. its time to start touring etc. Like i said, please let me know if im being rash and stupid

8. extramural uni?

9. makaky

makaky

Mar 26, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    +1

10. hey guys, thanks for your responses and support. I am going to do what you guys say and just try and juggle it all. I had a talk to a guy today who put my situation in perspective. he said "young man, you have plenty of time to get a mortgage, work 9-5, get your balls busted by a girl etc etc, your in a position that a lot of people would kill to be in, enjoy the journey, and wherever it may take you, do it without regrets", this made me really happy, and optimistic about what im doing.

11. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Thats almost the perfect answer...

although, I would get 2 or 3 new woman ( gotta have backup ) , keep playing, and go back to university

12. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Gigging in a busy cover band while in college actually enabled me to focus on school during the day and still pay the bills. It was work, but that's life. I appreciated the flexibiity that a regular job would not have afforded me.

JKT

13. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Being a musician is something that non-musicians don't understand. It is a part of you. True that you might be able to live without performing, but that would have to be a choice YOU make, otherwise some kind of failure is in your future.

Any woman who would ask you (in one way or another) to give up music is a person who does not understand passion. You have to choose whether you want to be around that kind of person.

14. Keep Playing, go to school and ... keep playing

15. thanks guys, appreciate the support! Anybody else had trouble like grls like this in the past?

16. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I would get yourself a new woman, go to Uni anyway, and keep playing. The new woman should be more supportive, Uni will get you a qualification which will lead to a better paying job that will pay for better equipment and your music will give you pleasure and make it worth while getting out of bed every morning. You don't have to choose....do it all! It's not that easy to earn your living by playing music, and eventually not being able to afford to play really gets old.

17. make sure ones a 5 banger ;)

18. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    If music is in your blood you may stop playing, but you don't ever fully quit.

Go back to school, just cut back on your music involvement. There's nothing wrong with doing music casually.

19. You can fit it all in. I'm living on the Gold Coast- whats the name of your band?

I find with my uni (finishing a business degree, and have done half a law degree) that if your purely doing something like business than the contact hours aren't that bad. Lectures where i am are all posted on the net and the tutes are the only thing you really consider going to. I had to put my law degree on hold because doing them all was a bit much, but for me to play music, work 34 hours a week and go to uni it was essential. You'll find it easy atleast for the first year, then you may have to make tough choices.

I'm a bit younger than you and you still have more freedom than i do. Go for it!

20. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Mar 19, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Can't be made any clearer.