1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking about refinishing my bass like a 1970 Mach 1 - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jul 20, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have always loved this color of Mustang Mach 1:

ford-00279-1.
    1970_00006_01.

I'm thinking about refinishing this bass, body and headstock

100_1238.

the same color using automotive spray can paint.

What do you think of the color scheme? I'm thinking that the black pickups in the middle would kind of be the racing stripe!

2. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    That would look awesome! And the black pickups is enough black for the color scheme. It would look really hot man! If it's real glossy it'll look great!
    It's a good green, nobody's going to call it a puke color. Lol

3. That color is Lime Gold Metallic. Go for it! The formula for the paint is on many Ford color chart forums...

4. nibs208

nibs208

Sep 10, 2007
    What is the neck pickup on your bass? Love that color scheme. Go for it.

5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks folks! I think it's going to look really good and I'll have a custom water slide decal made for the headstock.

The neck pickup is a Dimarzio Will Power pickup. I can get some really good old school type tones out of it.

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I had a '67 bigblock Fastback that color. It was called Ivy Gold.

Heck, it would look great on a bass.

7. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Bieng a Mustang junky, i think that would be awesome, ive thought about doing stuff like that a well but never had the guts to take the plunge.

15ce60f7.

8. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I think that's a great idea!

Makes me miss my Magnum PI Wal. :(

Michael

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Originally I had thought about refinishing this bass because I made some mistakes when I installed that extra pickup and I wanted to cover those up. The pickup route is a bit to big and there's a small gap on the neck side of it. I regret drilling the holes for the extra volume and coil tap switch for that new pickup and I cracked the finish there as well. Plus, there's a bunch of smaller dings and finish cracks.

I had thought of going with Reranch paint but finally decided to leave it. Sanding between clear coats and waiting 30 days for the nitro lacquer to cure didn't sound too fun to me. I must have seen a green Mach 1 recently, though because this idea popped in my head and I finally found the right paint color. With the automotive paint this company sells I can have the whole refinish job finished in less than a week.

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've never been much of green fan in general, and never thought I would own a green bass, but there's something that happens to me inside when I see one of these:

ford-00279-1.

It just looks tough. I think I'm going to be very happy with the results. I'm going to have to wait to do it until next summer, but that's okay. I'm going to redo all of the switches/pots to clean up the wiring, so I need to gather those parts. The paint and refin supplies are going to cost just a bit over $100. More than all of that is I have to do it during August here in the NW and I can't do it this August.

11. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Go for it. Paint can always be removed and the bass refinished.

I was never a huge fan of this green, but have always loved the Shelby blue with the white stripe.

12. I wish Musicman still offered the Olive Gold color. It wasn't too similar to this, but the names folks were tossing out for colors stirred some memories.

13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    [​IMG]

Right?

14. Do it

15. I had a '68 coupe that wore that color before someone sprayed it blue. Just the exterior. Left the doorjambs, under hood, trunk, and interior ivy gold. Pretty ugly.

I have a soft-spot for that color.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, totally do it.
    Nice mods on that bass too btw. I like it!

17. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks! I was wondering what the G&L club folks might think.

18. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I seem to remember the color as Lime gold

I do not have many pics on this computer, but I do have one old one uploaded on photobucket. The 67 convertible in the back was repainted in lime gold to match the original paint code

Engine023.

and before anyone asks, I did used to be a jaguar fan

19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Apparently there was a few similar shades of metallic green used on Mustangs around this time.

When I Google "medium lime metallic" I get this:
    ford-00279-1.

When I Google "lime gold metallic" I get this:
    [​IMG]

When I Google "ivy gold metallic" I get this:
    [​IMG]

Successively lighter colors. The darker one is the one I'm thinking of 'cause the lighter ones make me think of Sage Green Metallic and are more pastelish.

[​IMG]

20. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Something like this..... ?

GL-Mach1-2.