1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thinking about returning to school.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Dec 31, 2006.

1. i tried going to a local community college as a computer science major, but the classes were too boring for me to stay awake and only availabel to take at night. i also could not pass the classes in my sleep:meh:
    now im thinking about returning to college this time as a music/ education major it always seemed that music was something i could stay awake for. i don’t think that i will return for spring semester but possibly for the fall because of financial reasons.
    the other problem is that i can only take classes on my days off (monday and tuesday) or possibly in the morning before work (my shift starts at 1:45pm). ill also need the money to pay for classes because the classes for my possible new major would not be payed for by my job.
    this will probably be a challenge for me financiall and mentally because of me being away from school for several years and getting used to spending all of my paycheck.

i am also planning on keeping my current full time job while taking classes

should i go for it?

2. hello?

3. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    education is important. you should do everything in your power to figure out what you would like to do in school. go to the school you're thinking about enrolling in as a music/education major and talk to everyone you can -- professors, students, people in charge of the music facilities -- and see what they say the program is all about.

and, if after you've done your research it sounds like a go, then go speak to someone about financial aid in the school, they should be able to lay out options that can help you pay for school... a good education that you make the most out of is well worth the time and expense. just be sure it's soemthing you can start and stick with. best of luck.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Did you expect replies when "bloggish" is in your title?

If you're unsure of what you want to go back for, make sure you do your research on approximately how mand jobs will be available, what they pay, and what kind of experience they will hire. It took me a year and a half to find a real job out of college with a geography degree from PSU. That mainly happened because one of my old classmates' company was hiring, and he knew where I was and gave me a headsup.

I've been thinking about going back to school for either a Masters program or a grad cert program (credits applied to Masters). I was already accepted to the GIS program with PSU online, but put it off for the time being. I want to make sure the program I choose will help me get a job and not just be a decoration on my resume.

Just be sure you do your research before you get back in.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yes.

Go.

I went back after a 10 year break and finished my undergrad degree and found myself to be a much better, focused, and motivated student. It was well worth it, and I'll be taking classes in the coming year too...This time I'll be going for classes that really interest me in a creative way.

6. If you want to go back to school, do.

Some things to consider if you're thinking about a music degree (from someone who was in a music program)...

Get the education degree. Even if you don't ever expect to teach music, it's easier to get it while you're in school than to go back for it. I was a performance major, with the intention of going to grad school for a Masters so I could teach if necessary. But looking back, getting the teaching out of the way would have been way, way smarter.

A lot of music programs have intense schedules, and they aren't as flexible as a lot of other majors. At my school, certain classes that you needed to move on the next semester were only offered at certain times of the day on certain days of the week. Most people took full course loads, plus were in 3-6 ensembles they had to take for no credit so they didn't go over the school's credit limit. I had a job (and sometimes 2 jobs) and it was really hard to fit it all in. Not to mention practice time. A regular full time job with "normal" hours would have been almost impossible. So what I'm saying is talk with the dean or a professor in the music department about how flexible the schedule is.

I don't want any of that to sound discouraging, just want you to be prepared. Good luck!

7. i hear you there. i will be taking it kinda slow 1 maybe 2 classes to start and hopefully i can work them around my schedule for work or my work schedule around them. ill look at the music department during the summer to see what i can do.

8. i was looking at the spring schedule and if the classes are available at the same time during the fall it will be great