1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about selling all my basses....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beyondhairy, Sep 13, 2008.

1. All four of my mediocre basses to get one great bass.

Anybody done this or have insight ?

2. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    This has been done recently. Someone traded in, I think five basses, to get one. Do a search; though, I couldn't find it, but perhaps you'll have better luck.

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Yeah, someone recently traded I think 3 basses and 2 guitars for a Pedulla. What kind of basses are you going to trade and for what are you going to trade them for?

4. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I think it's a good idea.
    Getting to know one bass {inside-out} has really helped my playing.

5. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    It's the best thing to do

6. thunder-pick

thunder-pick

Jun 9, 2005
    Wouldn't you want to have at least 2 basses? You know 1 good one and a backup.

7. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    If what you have are indeed mediocre basses and the one you would get is truly superior to them all then I say yes. I am down to one really good bass and it's kinda nice to have something you know and trust. This one is a keeper and I can plan my purchases carefully from now on so I end up with keepers all around. Just gotta be a little more careful with it so that it doesn't get damaged and you get stuck with no bass.

8. I sold my Lakland 55-01 that I modded, a Takamine 12 string acoustic guitar, an Epiphone SG electric guitar, A Jackson electric guitar, and a Line 6 Spider guitar amp to get my Valenti. I still had to shell out $450 out of my pocket but I wasn't really using any of them except for the Lakland. I still regret selling that one but I don't regret buying my Valenti. I'd do it if I were you, less quantity, more quality!!!

9. well, i have a squier active jazz deluxe V, an epi t-bird, an ibanez agb140, and a squier fretless jazz(i just baught this one like last week on a whim.... it was an angry buy lol)

im thinking of keeping the t-bird though, i just put a new bridge on it....

and im thinking of getting a musicman stingray... or a sterling

10. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    purely IMO I'd say go for it. until 3 days ago I have been a 1 bass guy for quite a few years... In fact in in 20 or so years of trying to play bass in bands, I think I've had > 1 bass for less than a year.

Everyone's idea of a "good bass" is different for both style and $$$$$$ reasons, but the musicman is a sweet bass and certainly apologizes to no one. My "1 bass" for th epassed 3 or 4 years (?that long already!?) has been a KSD jazz bass and I really dig it, but I could forsee "trading up" one notch in the near future. When that happens ole "Crissy" is up on the auction block.

So, yeah, a bunch of replaceable entry level or 2nd tier basses for a 3rd or 4th tier quality bass... sure. I can see that.

11. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I'll play the devils advocate-It makes sense if you have already found that one bassand you know it's going to do it all for you for the foreseeable future- a known quantity and you can stack it up againts owning a few less expensive basses. To throw money at an expensive bass just because it's expensive is dumb.
    Of course if all your current basses suck then have at it.

12. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    How dare you call the epiphone thunderbird mediocre! I take personal offense! :'(

13. I almost did this to buy my Lakland, but somehow ended up with 3 basses instead of one. There's nothing wrong with having one great bass. It's only here on TB that people get the idea that you have to have 20+ basses. :D

14. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    LAKLAND! LAKLAND! LAKLAND! LAKLAND!
    :D

15. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I think you need to go through with it.
    For anyone interested, the jazz V is a killer bass.

Sell them all on here or on ebay. Wait till a little closer to christmas. You will get much more for those basses around that time. I suggest ebay.

I have a few things I am waiting to sell on ebay till november.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I sold four decent basses to gain forgiveness for buying that Drozd.

17. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN

+1 I've sold many basses, and always get a lot more right before Christmas! Sometimes right after Christmas is good too, when some younger folks have extra gift money.

18. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    YES!! I had a collection before getting my 55-94. Now, the collection is dwindling down. The Lakland is my numero uno that goes to every gig and 90% of my practice sessions. I drag out a few of my nicer 4 strings w/ D-tuners occasionally, but the band doesn't like 'em as much :(.

The great thing about Laklands is that you can get a US one as your one GREAT bass, and later get the cheaper Korean Skyline version as a backup or for the rougher bar gigs.

19. LOL!

20. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    It's crossed my mind to sell all my Warwicks and buy a really nice Custom Shop bass, but I'd be terrified to even look at it too hard....