Thinking about selling avatar and buying Dr. Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Nov 21, 2004.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Hey, i have the B210 delta by avatar and really like it, but i think a 2x12 would give me a better sound and be a better stand alone cab. Im looking at the Dr Bass 2x12 because it is lighter than the avatar but the same speakers.

does anyone have the dr bass 2x12 or any history with it?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive never played a Dr bass cab but i do have an avatar 2x12 and can tell you its a great standalone cab. So if you arent successful with the dr bass, try avatar.

I think 2x12 is the best standalone speaker config though.
  3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I have a feeling the cross-overs in the Dr bass cabs are probably better as well as the tweeters, but check it out yourself.
  4. do you have a link for the doctor?

My eden has what Dr. Bass calls "rat fur". I have never looked at them the same since.. :(
  5. Marc Serio of Dr. Bass has access to number of different tweeters for his cabs. Not sure what is the standard for the 212 at present but he'll build to your tastes so contact him to discuss. As for crossovers, I do believe he uses a simple hi pass filter cap and nothing more which I'd wager is the same thing Avatar does. The major difference between the 2 brands is the cabinet construction and size and tweeter selection.

Dr. Bass is at - Site is minimal at present but all the contact info should be there...
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    If the speakers are the same, one has to wonder what Dr. Bass is building the cabinet out of to make it lighter. Avatar uses 3/4 in. plywood that uses dados and rabbets at the joints to get the maximum strength out of the minimum number of plywood pieces in the box.

I'd be afraid that the Dr. Bass enclosure might not hold up as well as the Avatar. I don't know for sure, but you don't get a lighter weight cabinet without giving something up.
  7. A big part of the reason DB cabs are lighter is they are smaller. the 212 is roughly 24x21x15 vs 27x25x16.5 for the Avatar. He uses Birch covered in the sprayed on stuff that I'd imagine is lighter than carpet. I've had possession of both a 212 and a 2160 and I can say they are built like tanks. Very well built. Never had an Avatar so I can't comment on comparisons sound wise but the DBs a great cabs for the $$...
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My bet is that the "sprayed on stuff" is much, much heavier than typical cab carpet . . .
  9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Eric my man I respectfully disagree. I've peeled carpet off a singe 15 cabinet one time and was shocked how heavy that crap was. But I never did a real comparison, heck you could be right.
  10. Bottom line is there's a 15 pound difference between 2 cabs using the same basic active components. The difference has to be in construction materials and size...
  11. Juddium

May 24, 2004
    I think the sprayed on stuff is the same kind of stuff that's sprayed onto truck beds for lining. tough as heck, but the whole thing is still lighter.

My 1260bx rocks
  12. It says the Rx Series are made out of 1/2" "specially treated MDF". Avatars are 3/4", so theres some weight difference. Can anyone tell me what MDF is?
  13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Medium Density Fiberboard... It comes in sheets but is heavier than plywood of the same thickness (IIRC). If you watch TLC at all, they usually use MDF to build furniture as it is smooth and apparently takes paint well.

I'd rather have plywood...
  14. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    yeah, this can make a difference. Back when i was looking for an amp previously i looked at these and was put off by the fact that the volume of the cabs is less than that recommended for the speakers used. I dont know how much this matters but it put me off before.