1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking about selling the Geddy Lee for a Roadworn J.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rollyolly, Aug 6, 2012.

1. rollyolly

rollyolly Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2011
    But I don't know if this is a good idea or not, since I've never played the roadworn jazz. I really like the "old school" vibe of the roadworn with the vintage bridge, 60's pickup spacing, etc. Plus I've heard they are usually lightweight, and play like they are well broken in.

Also, I'm not turned off by the factory relic job, as I tend to not like bright, shiny things.

A couple questions first:
    Does the roadworn seem to have a warmer, more "vintage" tone than the Geddy Lee?

Is the neck on the thin side for a jazz bass? The neck is basically the only reason I bought the Geddy Lee...I love me some fast thin necks, and I'd be dissapointed if it was on the thick end of jazz necks.

So whad'ya think?

2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Think the Geddy neck is thinner than the JRW. You could always try out the JRW but if you're looking for (I'm guessing) the vintage tone, just change strings and/or swap the pickups on your Geddy. If weight is an issue, change out to light-weight tuners and swap out the bridge and knobs to aluminum versions to shave out some weight. Just my $0.02 since Geddys are fantastic players, between the two, I'd pick a Geddy.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    But surely not for a RoadWorn...

Follow previous precious advices to reduce its weight, BTW

Think about it

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I'd keep the Geddy for future reference as production is moving to MIM. I know that many were MIJ but that's now, not the case. I hear the price would come down about $100. as well. I'm keeping mine for when we have the MIJ Geddly Lee Jazz Bass Club :)