Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about Seymour's 1/4 pound PUPs.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Droog, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    So after doing some critical listening by ways of recording this weekend I have discovered that the pick ups in my P-Bass are kinda noisy, got this hi end buzz going on, not that bad for rehersal and playing but not really cutting it for recording. After the new year I may drop in the 1/4 pounder's, my luthier is big on them, whats your take fellas?

I like the idea of a hotter output and I would assume they are fairly quite.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    If you do a search here for thos pups, you will find them they are very well liked here.

3. I have a love/hate thing going on with these pickups. I used to have them installed in my ash body P, which tends to be very bright on its own. The QPs added lots of low end and did indeed have high output. But on the flip side, they tended to be a little harsh sounding with the treble up and boomy with the treble cut. All that just may be due to the body wood of my bass. Think about what kind of music you play and what sound you want to acheive before you pull the trigger.

I resoldered the leads so that I would have a four wire setup, and had them hard wired in parallel for a while. This eliminated the boominess but added more treble, but I could dial that out with the tone knob. My intention was to add a series/parallel switch, but I got distracted somewhere along the line.

If noise is a problem for you, I'd recommend shielding the control cavity and using a star grounding set-up while you've got the pickups out. I did this on my P because I play in church and the extra hum could be flat out embarrassing sometimes. My DYI job looks uglier than sin but has turned out to be very effective.

I pulled them in favor of a set of Villex P pups for now, and I'm digging them pretty well. Lately I seem to like tinkering more than practicing, so who knows what I'll do next week.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Thanks for the input. I think maybe in Feb. I may have them popped in. I don't imagine my tone, getting worse, and as I am not overly fond of what I am getting now it seems like an inexspensive upgrade.

5. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    I couldn't be happier with mine. I had a MIM P bass, really average, but I threw on a badass bridge and seymour duncan 1/4pounders and.. I can't even describe it. My bandmates all just stared at it as they had collective sonic orgasms, it was beautiful and takes very well to very light distortion, very deep very high very middy it just bings the bass to life

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    1/4 'ers kick a*s!
    Best all around, high output pickup I have used. Ton's of lows and very present mid's/highs without coming across too hot and maxing out the gain. I love em!