Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about some new books.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tpu2, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Tpu2

Tpu2

Oct 19, 2002
    With Christmas coming up, I decided that I want some new books. I've never really been taught formaly and I started by just dinking around. I was looking at Gary Willis's book Fingerboard Harmony. I've heard good things about this book and I thought It'd help me learn more scales and stuff like that. I am also looking for a book to help me with chords and stuff like that. I have no clue where to start with that stuff. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    Willis' book is AMAZING. Just do the work.

I like his "101 Bass Tips" too. Pure practicality.

I also have the MI "Music Reading for Bass", and "Bass Fitness". But the Willis books have helped me the most by far(although if I actually read through the MI book it would help me too).

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    with christmas coming up im also thinking about getting some books and starting into a solid practice regime.

I think its all well and good to say you know all the modes and how to arpegiate every chord known to man but it doesnt matter damn all if you don't know how to put that knowledge to work when you play.

Can anyone recomend a book that teaches a concept, explains what it is, how to use it and give examples of where it was used? Or am i asking way to much of a single book. For those of you who are jumping out of their seat :hyper: roaring at the screen "GET A TEACHER!!!!" that luxury isn't available to me (and if it was prob wouldn't be affordable either)

4. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    The Willis fingerboard harmony book teaches you how to visualize the fingerboard in a very easy fashion. Learn TWO arpeggios. Play them each in the same position up & down. Then play 4 notes of each, alternating every 4 notes, in one direction, until you have to switch. Also in one position. Then you substitute a passing tone to the next chord's chord tone for the 4th note. Then passing tones on 2nd & 4th.

Couple that position playing with knowing that ANY key change is never more than a one fret shift away, and I'd say you've got a good learning curve from this book.

Plus once you get into extensions, and staying away from playing the root of the chord that you're on, you've got some good solo information flowing through your hands too.

5. MicceO

MicceO

Aug 12, 2004
    Hey, this sounds good!

I'm just starting with the Fingerboard Harmony, but I must admit: it looks a bit taxing. So, any encouragement is welcome!

If you've got any tips how to use the book, I'd be happy to hear. :bassist:

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have this book and found it to be excellent. My advice on how to use it is to go slowly and thoroughly. Don't advance to the next lesson until you really have a lock on the present lesson. Also, don't skip around. Follow Willis' exact order or you may miss something that will help you understand more advanced lessons in his book.

Also, his CD plays the examples very fast. It took me quite a while to get up to his speed.

Unless I am mistaken, this is the Willis book (I have other Willis books) in which all examples are given for four, five- and six-string basses. I practiced four-string first, then did the five string examples. This book really made me wish I had a six-string bass, but that is still an unfulfilled dream.

7. MicceO

MicceO

Aug 12, 2004
    Good to hear, thanks a lot! :)

Yes, this is the book where all examples are given for different basses. I've only got one four-string bass, but how I try to benefit from that fact is that I think: this book contains 70 something pages, but I only got 50 to go as I need not to read everything!

Thanks!

8. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    If you want to make a good investment in a book that will nail down your understanding of chords I recommend the following work books. This will give you a grounding that applies to all instruments as well as composition.(Especially in the popular idiom)

Materials in Tonal Music Volumes I & II by Paul O. Harder

Also the investment in one of the "Legit" fake books out there would pay off handsomely as a tool for sight reading, harmonic analysis and as a compendium of good melodies.

Have fun.