1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about starting a little project..thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by elplatanazo87, Mar 10, 2010.

1. elplatanazo87

elplatanazo87

Oct 21, 2008
    I play rock/post hardcore/experimental

That said, My main gigging bass is a J.

And my backup is an epi t bird..not a bad bass just in case anything happens. I think the bass sounds fine, except for that terribly heavy neck. I'm not a fan of how the neck feels. I'm more of a Maple kind of guy. So I'm thinking of changing the neck to a fender style maple neck. I'm also thinking of changing the buckers to the actual gibson ones. With that said, no, I have no expertise in doing this myself, so I'll obviously be looking for a professional to do this for me. So what do you guys think? Does it sound like a good idea? Or do you believe it would cost too much to do? If anyone has ever done something like this, how much did it come out to anyway?

Thanks to anyone who replies, I'm considering doing it because I do have some cash laying around and would like to switch things up without having to buy a new bass.

2. elplatanazo87

elplatanazo87

Oct 21, 2008
    so sorry, I posted this in the wrong section!

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I think if it's a backup bass that you're really not playing, why bother spending loads of money on it, if it is "alright" now?

4. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I think it will be too expensive to make sense, and will devalue the T-Bird
    IMO, find another back up bass

5. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    If you wanted to do this you could always get an eden fender style neck for cheap. You would likely have to do some routing on the body to fit the wider neck and redrill the new neck bolt holes to match the body. Luckily your bass has a 20 fret neck so the harmonics should be able to be set up without moving the bridge. I dont know if the string spacing would be too narrow with the stock bridge or not. I wouldnt recomend doing it yourself if your not familiar with this type of work.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020