1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking about swapping cabs...2 vs 4 vs 6 vs 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by _Some Dude, Aug 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    I currently have a 410 and am thinking about trading it in for an 810 and 210.

I love the sound (Mesa PH410), but I keep running into issues with being able to hear it clearly. I didn't realize how bad it was until I used a backline 810 this past weekend and heard everything so much clearer. My entire band appreciated being able to hear it better, and it allowed me to run a little quieter, which enabled a better stage mix (with the 410 I'm usually just a bit too loud, but if I turn down my band looses tightness).

I'm about 90% convinced I'm getting an 810, but a 610 is also on the table if someone can convince me I'll be able to hear it as well as an 810.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm thinking about getting a 210. My theory is that at smaller gigs I can angle this up easier than a 410.

For those with practical experience, any thoughts on these ideas? Will I regret selling my 410 to fund this? Or should I find a way to hold onto it?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Get your 4x10 up on something so that it is as tall as the 8x10.
    It will sound just as loud to you.
    You don't have ears on the backs of your knees.

Jazz Ad, Wisebass, jam.majors and 6 others like this.
  3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Agree that more inches of speaker, 810, isn't exactly a solution.

Get the 410 up a bit, a milk carton works for me and you may be surprised and save a few bucks.

Gearhead17 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Also standing just a few feet further in front on your 410 will make a world of difference.

5. DevinWard369

DevinWard369 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Utah
    6x10 or 4x12. Those are my choice and opinion.

RickyT likes this.
  6. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    Get a matching 410. Puts your cab and amp up where you can hear it and see the controls. If you have stairs, easier to move than an 810

Jazz Ad, wjl, Pbassmanca and 2 others like this.
  7. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    Size, weight, and stairs generally aren't concerns.

If size, weight and stairs do become a concern, I think it'll better addressed by the 210 than a 410 on crates.

Cost is only a moderate concern... and that boils down to whether I keep the 410 in addition to the other cabs, or sell it fund the other cabs (210 and 810).

I've thought about putting the 410 on a stand, but I don't want to be dragging around extra equipment to make my equipment work. Plus the visual presentation is important to me.

This is a rock band, so the 810 look is appropriate for the gig.

Edit: I appreciate everyone's input and am taking everything you say into consideration, but I'm about 90% sure I'm selling the 410 and getting an 810 and 210 unless I read something that changes my mind.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  8. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm considering this too. The only thing I don't like about it is it adds another trip for load in/out vs a single cab, and I'll still want a 210 for the smaller stuff.

9. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    I put mine on a dolly, and leave it there during the show. I can push the whole stack in and out easily, but take it piece by piece if there are stairs. Carvin also sells these, which are nicer but more expensive.

Amazon.com: Mover's Dolly 1000lbs Furniture Appliance18" X 12-1/4": Home Improvement

Pbassmanca and Lvjoebass like this.
  10. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I once thought I'd like the PH210 based on testing the 610 at the Mesa Hollywood shop. I went back and tried the PH210, expecting a scaled down 610 sound and I was disappointed. The low end just didn't hit the same way, and it felt lacking in depth. I was using the same M6 head I had at home, and the shop guys really didn't put a limit on how loud I could push the cab. The 210 was sitting on another cab, at about my chest height while playing.

I'd suggest trying a 210 first, if you can.

11. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Is your PH410 a 4ohms cab? If so, you could add a PH210 (since your Strategy can handle a 2ohms load) for a flexible/modular setup with the 410.

Pbassmanca, LowActionHero and JimiLL like this.
  12. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    +1 on this if you must go with more speakers.

InhumanResource likes this.
  13. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Just thought the same thing. Add an 8 Ohm 210 to a 4 Ohm 410 and get a 2.67 Ohm load with even power going to all speakers.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Bassist for Michael "Epic Mic" Rowe

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you liked the tone, you may just want to get that exact 8x10 cabinet. Things like cab volume (as in spatial) can make a huge difference, so a 2x10 or 4x10 is probably not going to sound the same as an 8x10 model with all the same variables (same exact speakers, mfg, series, etc.) regardless of how many milk crates you prop it up on.

bassinflorida likes this.
  15. Why not get a second ph410 for the bigger gigs and stack 'em? Smaller gigs angle the single 410 up with a block under the front or raise it with a stand to a height that you can hear well. I suggest the changes that do not cost much money first.

I have a purple leather ph410 and really dig it.

Edit: just realized guitarflinger already said what I said!

Pbassmanca and guitarflinger like this.
  16. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Hands down. 100% my DNA DNS - 410 is louder and more beefy than any other cabinet i have ever heard. 4Ohm and rated at a massive 1400w RMS!!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Proline PL7000 Adjustable Amp Stand

Your 410 will be near ear level and you can adjust it back a bit.

proline.

18. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Agree with matching 410. I use two Ampeg 410 HEs and they sound great.

19. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    Good point. If I remember correctly, Mesa voices the PH210 a little light so that it integrates well with a PH115. Needing a 115 to fill it out kind of defeats the point for my purposes. I'll see if I can find one to try.

How did you like the 610?

My 410 is 8ohm.

Good point. The backline was an Ampeg 810 and it sounded great. It's a classic for a reason, and I'm going to keep this in mind. When I demo'd 410s I liked the Mesa more than the Ampeg due to the character of the mids... but I'm going to try to demo the two 810s if I can.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

How about two 2x10s stacked vertically? Or two 2x12s? Better dispersion FOH, less on-stage volume and easier to monitor yourself. Easy load in, load out.

Check out www.revsound.com
    Low, light and loud. Reasonably priced.